Review by Stallion

"Incredibly addictive, certainly the best game on Gameboy."

With the quiet release of Pokémon in 1998 (In NZ, anyway), no one was really aware of the incredible following this game would produce. Being one of the first to buy the game in my school, I was able to give others tips, and from the very beginning, I knew this game was for me. I sat down, and I played for four hours straight. From selecting my starting Pokémon to defeating the Elite Four, I never grew sick of this game. And guess what? I have never traded in my life. To those people who compare this game with epics such as Final Fantasy VII, that is blowing it a bit out of proportion. Sure, I liked Final Fantasy VII, but that is in a completely different league. Anyway, the battle graphics, in my opinion, are superb for a Gameboy. The music is sometimes slightly annoying, but most of the tunes are quite addictive. As for the gameplay, it's EXTREMELY addictive, and once you start you can't stop. Even when you have beaten the final bosses, you still have the incentive to collect all 150 Pokémon, or the 124 that you can acquire in each version. (The box says 139, but this doesn't count starters and Eevee evolutions that you can't get.) Once you have collected (IMHO) the most powerful Pokémon, Mewtwo, is when the game starts to go downhill slightly. Being the most powerful, he can beat nearly any trainer's Pokémon with a single hit. This is probably where the link battle option would shine, but I'm not able to do this. Overall, this is an incredible game, if you view it realistically. Even comparing to games such as Zelda 64 and FF7, this game will always hold a special place in my heart. A great RPG, indeed.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99