Review by Zabunny

"The Best Gameboy Game I have Ever Played"

Time for me to tell you about the best GameBoy game I have ever played. Pokémon (either versions) is the best GameBoy game I have ever played. That's right. No need to repeat myself again. There are 2 versions of Pokémon, the Red and the Blue Versions. Both are exactly the same, (game layout, etc.) except, some Pokémon found in the Red Version aren't in the Blue Version, and some Pokémon in the Blue aren't in the Red. Some Pokémon are very common in the Red, but very rare in the Blue. Some Pokémon are very common in the Blue, but very rare in the Red. You get the idea. So how do you catch the Pokémon in the Red Version that are not in the Blue Version?

Well, you have to TRADE Pokémon from either versions using the Game Link Cable. Let's say your friend has the Red Version and has caught an Oddish (Only found in the Red Version), and you have the Blue Version, and caught a Vulpix (Only found in the Blue Version). Vulpix can be found in the Blue Version, but Oddish cannot. Well, if you want to be worthy of the title "Pokémon Master", you've 'gotta catch 'em all'. Trade the Vulpix for the Oddish, and then go catch another Vulpix. You now have a Pokémon you didn't have before! The person that has the Red Version now has a Vulpix, not found in the Red. Now you're both happy campers. The Game Link Cable isn't only all about trading. You can battle your friend using the Pokémon you've caught and the Game Link Cable, to test your skills.

There are a total of 150 Pokémon, (i.e. not counting Mew, who can only be aquired with the help of a GameShark) and only 139 can be found on one game pak. You have to trade, but you have to also evolve many Pokémon by raising them to a certain level. For example: Pidgey evolves into Pidgeotto when it reaches about level 19, and then evolves again when it reaches level 36, into Pidgeot, the more powerful version of Pidgey. When a Pokémon evolves, it becomes stronger. When your Pokémon evolves, your Pokédex will say you caught that evolved Pokémon. Maybe if Squirtle is someone's only Pokémon, and then it evolves into Wartortle, after reaching a certain level, your Pokédex counts that as catching another Pokémon. Some Pokémon evolve when you touch them with a special stone (Pikachu evolves into Raichu, after you touch him with the ThunderStone). There are more Pokémon than Pikachu that evolve when being touched with a special stone, you know. Most Pokémon evolve after they reach a certain level. Some Pokémon evolve once, like Sandshrew for example, and some evolve twice, like Charmander. Some Pokémon, such as Kadabra, evolve after being traded.

Pokémon is one of the best games I have ever played, and I highly recomend it to anyone!

Wondering what the Pokemon craze is about? Find out for yourself buy buying a copy of this magnificent game today!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99