Review by Super Slash

"Even if you aren't a Metroid fan, try this game out"

Metroid Prime is one of the most popular games in existance, even today. When it was first released, many people bought it and loved it. I didn't see what all the hype was about this game, until I replayed it recently. It certainly isn't as good as everyone says, but it's still a great game.

At the start of the game, you don't really get that much of a story at all. Throughout the game, though, the story will get clearer (if you pay attention, that is). But really, what Metroid games actually have a good story? Samus flies in her ship to the Space Pirate Frigate, which is obviously infested with Space Pirates and such. She also fights a big alien at the end of the ship, then the ship self-destructs. As she escapes, she notices that her arch-nemesis, Ridley, has returned. She follows him to the planet of Tallon IV, but Ridley manages to escape. She explores Tallon IV as she finds out that monsters are everywhere, and that they're also in places within Tallon IV, such as the Magmoor Caverns and the Phendrana Drifts. Eventually she encounters the wrecked Space Pirate Frigate, and finds more Space Pirates. She must put an end to the Space Pirates and Ridley once again.

This is the best part of the game. Many people consider the game an FPS, since Samus is in first-person throughout the whole game. The only exception is when you roll into a ball, but that's about the only time in the game that you aren't in first-person. You play as the bounty hunter, Samus Aran. Even if you haven't played Metroid games, you'll be familiar with this character if you've played any Super Smash Brothers games. As you go through the game, you find new equipment and additions to Samus' suit, such as the Varia Suit that's resistant to heat, and the Charge Beam that can damage enemies a lot and blow up certain things. To opens doors, you have to shoot them. This may sound tedious, but it really isn't. Your weapon gets upgrades throughout the game, but you start with the weakest, the Power Beam. Blue doors can be opened with any beam, purple doors can be opened with the Wave Beam, white doors can be opened with the Ice Beam, and the rarest of the doors, the red doors, can only be opened with the Plasma Beam. Obviously, the Plasma Beam is the best beam in the game, but you don't get it for a long time.

Some doors also have blast shields over them, in which case, no type of beam will work on them. Instead, you have to shoot a missile at the door to blow away the blast shield, uncovering the actual door. Also, new to the Metroid series is the ability to scan things. You can turn on your scanning visor, and can scan objects that have an orange or a red icon on it. When you scan an orange icon, you learn more information about the thing you're scanning, while scanning a red icon usually adds certain data to your Logbook. Scanning a red icon will also sometimes perform a required action, such as opening a door or activating a rune symbol. The Logbook is also new to this game. Each time you scan something where data is added to it, you can go to your Logbook and view it to learn more about it. You can also scan every enemy and boss (including the final boss) to add them to the Creatures section of the Logbook. If you fill up 50% of your Logbook, you unlock a gallery to view on the File Select screen. You unlock the second gallery by completing 100% of the Logbook.

You also find Missile Expansions, Energy Tanks, and Power Bomb Expansions throughout the game. Missile Expansions and Energy Tanks are the most useful. Each time you get a Missile Expansion, the maximum amount of missiles you can hold at once is increased by 5. Each time you get an Energy Tank, your maximum amount of energy (health) is increased by 100. You may think it'll be easy to survive this way, but believe me, the game gets harder and harder as you progress through it. A Power Bomb Expansion increases the amount of Power Bombs you can have at once by 1. You don't get Power Bombs until late in the game, though. In some worlds, like the Phendrana Drifts, you'll fight a boss or two. Some of the bosses are difficult, while some of them are pretty easy. You will also fight mini-bosses, such as the Chozo Ghosts. The mini-bosses are easy for the most part, but the bosses I found hard. After you beat the game, you unlock a Hard mode, which is a mode where the enemies hurt you more than they did before.

There are also many Save Stations throughout the game. Step in one to save your game and refill all of your energy. Map Stations and Missile Stations are the most rare. I only found about two Missile Stations throughout the whole game. When you use a Map Station, the entire map for that area is downloaded. Using a Missile Station will refill all of your missiles. You can also add the Save Station, Map Station and Missile Station to your Logbook by scanning them. You'll also find some Bomb Slots throughout the game, which you can enter and place a bomb in to activate something in that room. Overall, there is a lot to do in this game, even if the game is relatively short. It's a game that offers quite a challenge at some points, especially late in the game. Challenging games are usually the better ones, though, and the challenge also makes this game fun. Many people consider this a solid FPS, but it really isn't. I consider it an FPS and an Adventure mixed together, actually.

The sound isn't bad. You'll hear the sound of things like Space Pirates roaring, Samus firing her beam, Samus screaming when she's in lava, and more. The sound doesn't get annoying or anything, and it fits this game well. There's not really much to say about the sound in this game.

Music: 8/10

Like the sound, the music isn't that bad either. In fact, the music theme for some places is actually cool to listen to. The music isn't extremely rememberable, though, but it's still a little good. I liked the music of the Magmoor Caverns, the Tallon IV Overworld, and maybe a few more I'm forgetting. You may or may not like the music this game has to offer.

The graphics are actually pretty good. All of the worlds that you explore look good, the enemies look good, all of the background objects look good... You get the picture. This game has the graphics as any other Gamecube game, basically. I thought they suited a Metroid game well. Samus also looks more realistic in this game. You may notice that while near electrical enemies, the screen gets fuzzy. This has nothing to do with the graphics, however, as the game is intended to do that in front of enemies like those. The graphics are great, however, as I've already said.

Replay Value: 8/10

Once you beat the game, there's still more to do. If you didn't fill up 100% of your Logbook, you can go back and do that. Even if you did fill it all up, you unlock Hard Mode upon beating the game, so you can go and replay the game on that difficulty. I've never tried it myself, but I imagine it spices up the difficulty of the game even more. Overall, this game has decent replay value, and you might want to play through the game again after beating it once. You can also go back and find all of the remaining Missile Expansions and such, if you didn't find them all already. Good luck finding everything in the game and getting a full 100% completion!

Buy or Rent?

If you don't like FPS's, then I suggest renting first. If you're a fan of the Metroid series, then by all means, buy the game. It's even better than Super Metroid, and will keep you busy for awhile. If you rent this game and like it, then buy it as soon as you can! You won't regret getting this game. If you play the game enough, you could actually beat it in a rental's time, probably.

After reviewing this whole game, I give it a score of a nine out of ten. It's an overall pretty good and fun game, but it does have some flaws (doesn't every game?). It will keep you busy for awhile, as there is a lot to do and find. I hope you enjoyed this review, and I hope that it helped you make a decision on if you should get the game or not. Until my next review, everyone!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/06/07