Review by MetalWarOdin

"We've been waiting for this before Gamecube even came out... Well worth the wait!"

Metroid Prime is an excellent game that I BEGGED my parents to get me, as I'm sure many of you will too. I played the demo at the local electronics store and was simply ASTOUNDED.

STORY: Interestingly enough, this game is a prequel to Metroid II. After the original Metroid, in which you devastated Ridley, Kraid, and Mother Brain (the ringleaders of the Space Pirates), the Space Pirates were shook up. Half of them went to rejuvenate the three, whereas the other half went in search of a reliable energy source. Soon, you, Samus Aran, find yourself on a Space Pirate ship. I choose not to divulge why you are there, or what happened, because you are supposed to explore the ship and after receiving enough clues, you'll soon find out what happened.

SOUND: The sound effects and music in this game are incredible. The music sets the atmosphere for this game, which gets you in the mood to explore Tallon IV and find out all its secrets. The sound is very appropriate, especially compared to other games, where you fire off a handgun bullet, and it makes your ears ring.

GRAPHICS: The graphics in this game are simply amazing. Pleasing to the eye, they will keep you awestruck throughout the game. From the realistic shine on Samus' armor, to the bugs who's blood will soon splatter your visor, the graphics in this game will not disappoint you.

CONTROLS: This game's controls are perfect. Everything is where it should be, and no single button is wasted. In almost every case, you will not find yourself trying to fumble with the buttons just to change weapons and the like. The only complaint I have with the game's controls is that most people are used to strafing with the C-Stick. However, it's not like Nintendo had a choice, seeing as how the C-Stick switches between weapons.

GAMEPLAY: You'll love playing this, even if you're used to older, sidescroller Metroid games. You play as Samus Aran, a galactic bounty hunter. Because Nintendo doesn't like the idea of Metroid Prime being a first-person shooter, they prefer to refer to it as a first-person adventure, which is really what this is. Anyway, this game has a mysterious tendency to get you hooked, as I'm sure you will be.

Now take note that I'm fairly harsh when it comes to rating a game. I wasn't before (obviously shown by the fact that SSX Tricky got such a high score from me), but now I do not rate nearly as leniently as I did before. A 5 means AVERAGE, not BAD. 7 is good, and 10 is perfect. 9 means VERY good, not exactly near-perfect, but still very good. Now that I've taken up 5 minutes of your time, get to begging your parents! I hope you'll have an easier time persuading your parents than I did.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/21/02, Updated 11/21/02