Review by dynamyke

"So let the Metroids suck up my free time!"

So a new Metroid game has arrived. Its been so long. But is it good? Did Nintendo lose its touch on the franchise?

Well lets start from the beginning. If you don't know about Ninendo's Metroid series, its a side scrolling shooter adventure. Your a space bounty ready to clean up the metroid infestation. It involve you collecting items like missiles and energy tanks to survive. Upgrade in weapons is a must. Metroid 1 for NES was the first game followed by Metroid 2: Return of Samus for gameboy and Super Metroid for SNES.

Metroid Prime takes place between Metroid 1 and 2.This is official with Nintendo even though some facts in the game suggest its after Super Metroid and before Metroid Fusion.
In Prime you head to the planet Tallon VI to stop the space pirates evil plots.

Graphics: Very very good. The game stays quite true to the series. The environments are huge and there are no slow downs. One thing I like for this First Person Shooter Adventure is the HUD. Unlike other FPS this one has you looking through the helmet with that helmet showing all the vital information. Nice touch.

Gameplay: This is what many were worried might make this new game in the series a big problem. Because all the other Metroid games were side scroller 2D games. Its hard to make a good leap to 3D. But i guess this is Nintendo. If they did it once (Super Mario 64) then they can do it again. But its not Third Person but First Person. Actually its not all First Person, you do turn into a ball and the camera hangs behind you. Prime could have been more like Mario or Zelda with the camera but I think what Retro has done is just as good. Unlike Mario or Zelda you have a gun. Only game out of the three that can work. Besides camera work the game itself is just plain fun. Search through all the corridors to collect powerups, find secrets, and fight big bosses. I like that. Even jumping from platform to platform is quite fun and easy.

Sound: Even in this department the game shines. A lot of the sound effects fit with what is going on and fits with the series. Shooting from your plasma gun, to enemy screeches, to power up pickup. Also the music is great. Lots of originals to nostalgic tones.

Secrets: There are secrets. Some required to beat the game with a certain amount of stuff collected and some which requires you to buy Metroid Fusion and hook it up together. One secret in this matter can only be unlocked by beating Prime, the other by Fusion.

Replay: Oh yea I think I am going to be playing this game for a long while. Prime does take a lot longer to complete then the earlier versions and also there's the famous time elapse at the the end of the game. Makes you want to go back and see if you can get a better time.

Metroid Prime is definitely going to be the game to get this holiday season. If you don't have it yet it might be hard to find. SO what are you doing here reading this? Go! Get absorbed by this great game!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/21/02, Updated 11/21/02