Review by Tride15

"Don't like the score? Read inside...."

A 7 score is good in my book. A 10 is very rare because that would have to be like the best game I've ever played, and that's not Metroid Prime. Now I'm not saying Metroid Prime is bad. Not at all. It's a very fun game and some of the most fun I've had in awhile. And in my review, I'm not going to discuss the story or sound and usless things like that.

Read on...........

Introduction:

Metroid Prime is the most recent Metroid game as of now. I didn't grow up playing Metroid or anything, and I haven't played any of the games except some of Super Metroid (and now Prime, of course).

My expectations for this game were low. I was thinking I'd be playing it and kinda just wanting to get it over and do something else, but I pre-ordered it anyway just because of hype (not always the best thing to do). I wasn't hyped up for it at all, just hoping that it would be fun like everyone says. And so far this game has definitely surpassed my expectations!

Gameplay:

This game is really fun! I only own 3 games for GameCube: Super Mario Sunshine, Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime, and Prime is a whole lot more fun than the other two games. You could say this is a first-person shooter, but it's really a first-person adventure with bosses and a lot of shooting thrown in. Or maybe a better way to put it is this is a FPS with a lot of adventure and exploration.

I pre-ordered the game from BestBuy.com and got it over a week after it was released!! I was mad about that, of course, but it finally did arrive and I was able to play it.

When I first started I thought I'd be overwhelmed by the huge area and all the places to go and do things because that is what I read in a review somewhere. I also thought it would take a long time to get used to the controls because that's what I also read in reviews. At first it looked like a big world compared to little 'ol me, but it was actually pretty small. I got the controls down in about 2 minutes, I got a hang of them in about 5 minutes, and I got a COMPLETE hang of them in about 10 minutes. I heard people say it took them like 1-2 hours to get a hang of them, and I have no idea why because they are really easy.

It's so fun getting power-ups and suits and all that! At first when you get new things, you're like ''cool, I got this thing'', but later on you'll be like ''YES! I got this thing! Now I can use it on those places I've been seeing all over the!!''. It's fun to get new things and it's rewarding. But some things seem kinda of useless. DO NOT read the booklet that comes with the game. It shows all the power-ups and things in it and it's better to be surprised (IMO).

Levels are big and I sometimes feel overwhelmed, but it's usually not so bad. When I opened up one new level I thought ''this place looks boring. *sigh* I can tell it's gonna be just an average level'', but when I played through it I actually found myself really enjoying it.

This is the most fun I've had with a game in a long time. I play maybe 5-6 hours a day on average, and while I'm playing I just don't wanna stop, but for some reason when I'm not playing I sort of don't feel like playing again. I can't explain it. But I do make myself play it again and then get sucked in. There's nothing special about enemy AI like I've been hearing. It's good, yeah, but nothing to really make me go WOW!

Someone said the game gets better as you go, but I liked the first half a little better. The second half is still really fun though!

I think they could've made this game in third-person, but it's great in first-person.

Cons:

One thing I don't like about this game is the HUGE world! It is really overwhelming later on because you open up so many places and when you look at it on your map it is just insane because you feel so lost and there's so much to explore. But sometimes that's good, or sometimes it's not as big as you thought it would be. It takes awhile to get places.

Sometimes (SOMETIMES) it can get boring for a little bit, but it usually gets better then.

The game has slowed down on me once *DUN!* *DUN!*, but it's not a problem at all. I was able to make it keep happening whenever I wanted because I just needed to move around in one spot. I think it was during a boss fight. But like I said, it was no big deal. It hasn't slowed down again.

There are some doors that you open that load for like 4 seconds because it has to load up all of the next area, and I encounter these doors all the time. One person said he never saw them, but I think as long as you know that they're there you'll notice them like I did..

Story:

Seriously, you can read about the story in any other review. I won't bore you with the details (and I don't know the story anyways)

Graphics/Sound:

The graphics are really good in this game, but sometimes can get a little fake looking or boring. I personally think the best looking area in the game is a place called Chozo Ruins. It looks really good when you're outside and just looking at it all. Very nice. Someone said that the level Phendrana Drifts is the best looking place and is ''beautiful.'' It's not, really. The only good looking this in that area is a temple sitting atop a hill sort of. I saw videos of Phendrana before the game came out and I thought ''That doesn't look very good at all. It'll probably look a lot better when you're actually playing the game.'' Well, frankly, it doesn't. It's not very detailed and it looks like they just took a few big shapes and stuck them together. What I mean is it looks like they took 3 squares and put them on the top and then big cones facing sorta down (I'm talking about the snow, by the way). Nevermind, just wait 'til you see it.

So that place doesn't look great, but it does look good, and then there's a level called Magmoor Caverns I think that doesn't look very good because you can't really make it. Not a lot of option for that place. And the level on the planet that you first start on when you get off your ship doesn't look as good as I thought it would but it still looks good.

So the graphics are good, sometimes really good, and some of the enemies are really detailed and very nice looking. Samus herself is great looking too. To me it seemed like she got a little less real looking after the beginning of the game. Probably just me though.

And sound? Who cares!? The music is ok, fits the game fine and the sounds are nice. I'm not gonna go into detail about sound.

Play Time/Replayability:

I'm not sure how long I've been playing, but the clock next to your save is not accurate. It said I had only been playing for about 1 hour and 30 minutes one time when I checked , but I know for a fact I was playing a lot longer than that. It said my total game time was 16 hours and something.

This game isn't really difficult (on normal mode anyway). There were times when I had no idea what to do and I was tempted to look at a strategy guide, but I figured them out and you feel really good if you figure the stuff out for yourself. I only used a guide on 2 very small parts. One of them was something I couldn't believe I didn't figure out. I just had to do something so extremely easy but for some reason I wasn't thinking of it. I forget what it was the next time I needed a guide.

I'll probably play this game over again around Christmas time when I get my WaveBird :) But it won't be as fun because I'll know what to do!! :( So savor it!

Final Recommendation:

This game is definitely worth buying. If you're getting this game thinking it'll be your average FPS with a special agent killing people and doing missions, you'll be disappointed. That is not what this game is.

You really won't be able to enjoy this game enough as just a rent.

I'm glad I got this game to add to my very small collection of GC games. I've played maybe 10 games for GameCube and this is the best or second best so far. Super Smash Bros. Melee holds a special place in my heart <3 (look at it sideways, heheh)

SUM:

This game is really fun, worth buying, has a few cons, has a few boring parts, 86% of the game is fun, controls are easy to get, don't read the booklet.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/10/02, Updated 12/10/02