Review by Dark Cloud 237

"Metroid Prime: My first Metroid game. And I am impressed. VERY impressed............."

Metroid Prime: My first Metroid game. And I am impressed. VERY impressed…………

Intro:
Metroid, the Nintendo series starring female intergalactic bounty hunter Samus Aran, has been around since I believe NES or before. I’m not exactly sure. But like I said. Metroid Prime is my first step into the galaxy that is Metroid. And first impressions are important. Especially with video games. If people didn’t like the first, they’ll probably blow off the next one. Well I, for one, am not going to blow off any Metroid game after this. Yes, this is a shooting game. No, it’s not just any shooting game. It’s hands-down the best shooting game I have ever played. Ever. Now, you might ask, why am I so impressed? Well, my friend, take a gander at the scoring:

Do you want this section in one word? If so, here you go: WOW. This game plays great.
At the beginning on the space ship, the game gives you all the basic upgrades and as you progress, you learn how to use them. You also learn how to walk (Control stick. Of course.) shoot (Press A button. Bet you knew that one was coming!), lock on (Hold L button), manually aim (Hold R button) , scan (Press left on control pad, hold L to scan targeted object- you need to do this if you want the better endings. There are 3, and you get better ones depending on how much stuff you scanned) and other things besides. (The game subsequently malfunctions all the upgrades, so you have to get them back.) In the beginning, you may hit a few wrong buttons trying to do something, but the controls quickly become second nature. This game really makes use of the Gamecube controller’s many buttons. The only one I’ve never pressed while playing Metroid Prime is the Y button. This section gets a 9 because things can get a little cumbersome sometimes, because certain buttons perform several functions.

The story starts with Samus receiving a distress beacon that is traced to a space ship in orbit above the planet Tallon IV. Samus investigates, finding parasitic life-forms aboard, along with some dead Space Pirates who have been using Tallon IV as a breeding ground for monsters. Samus kills the Parasite Queen at the core of the ship, and then has to run away before it explodes. While exiting, Samus runs into this gigantic black winged thing, and she chases it to Tallon IV on her ship. She loses track of the thing, and decides to land and do some ground-based recon……… As you progress (and scan), you learn about how the Chozo race (who made Samus’ Power Suit) came to Tallon IV to live peacefully, and how a great evil came upon the planet, called by the Chozo, the “Great Poison”, which seems to be mutating some of the planet’s inhabitants and plant life. The Space Pirates had been experimenting, possibly with this poison. And another substance. A mystery substance called “Phazon”. And what do all these things have in common? That’s what the story is all about. This section gets a 9 because on the outside, the story is just “Blow up all the bad guys”. But it’s really much deeper than that.

Graphics/Sound: 10/10
This is where Metroid Prime truly shines. The graphics are simply amazing. Running at a smooth 60 fps with no load times, the flowing of the environment is excellent. And the graphics look extremely realistic, unless you get up real close. Hey, after you get the X-Ray Visor upgrade, you can look at your Arm Cannon and see Samus’ hand! The sound is also incredible. Each of the 6 levels, Tallon Overworld, Chozo Ruins, Magmoor Caverns, Phendrana Drifts, Phazon Mines, and the Impact Crater, each have their own theme, each one being incredibly well composed. There is also different music for each of the bosses. This section gets a 10 because it excels in every conceivable way.

Replayability Factor: 9/10
Well, if you just go through the game, this will probably take you about 20-30 hours. If you want to scan everything, and collect all the Energy Tanks (increase your energy meter by 100 units) and Missile Expansions (each increases you max number of missiles by 5. There are 49, plus the original 5, for a total of 250.) And once you have beaten the game, you unlock Hard Mode. In Hard Mode, enemies’ attacks do more damage. If you thought the first time was easy, play through again on Hard Mode. Also, there are some bonuses for linking to the GBA’s Metroid Fusion, and for one, you have to beat Metroid Fusion (to play the NES Metroid on Gamecube), and the other you have to beat Metroid Prime ( to get Samus to wear the Metroid Fusion suit in Metroid Prime). Doing all of that will take much longer. This section gets a 9 because there are several things to do after beating the game. Also, earning all 3 endings (if you scan 75 or less percent of all stuff, you get the worst ending, if you scan between 76 and 99, you get the better ending, and if you scan everything (easier said than done), you get the best ending.

Rent or Buy?
To rent or to buy? That is the question. Well, buddy, I’m going to answer that question. And the answer is to STOP reading these words, grab 50 bucks from your wallet, and go buy Metroid Prime. You won’t have wasted a penny. From gameplay to storyline to graphics and sound to replayability, this game excels on all levels. Now I say to you again: STOP reading this review and go buy the game. You will not be sorry. You will not regret it. You will thank yourself for purchasing the best Metroid game yet. Just to make sure we’re clear on this. The final verdict is to BUY. Do not even read my review of the scores. Just buy it. Thank you.

Review of Scores: