Review by CO Eagle

"Great fun!"

Why did I buy Crazy Taxi?

Well, I have heard from a friend that Crazy Taxi would be a game in my taste. He said it was just to pick up some customers and drive them as crazy as possible to their destination. I did not think about that after the first time I heard it. My brother bought a Sega Dreamcast not so long ago, and with that Dreamcast he had around 30 games and of them was Crazy Taxi. I tried it and I must say I was satisfied. I laughed almost all the time I played it and I really enjoyed the game design. Well, after that I really understood that I should buy it to my great platinum cube in my room.

Before I bought Crazy Taxi I really expected some upgrades of the game. I do not know the exactly date when Crazy Taxi first was released, but if you compare with the Sega Dreamcast version of Crazy Taxi which was released before the Gamecube version of it you do not find any larger changes, or try to find any changes at all. I was a little disappointed because I really thought that they would have made some upgrades or changes, which they unfortunately never did. In many cases when games come from one system to another like Tom Clancy’s Splinter cell or Resident Evil had both upgrades and changes, and you really saw everything that was changed which became a better version of the games. It is a shame that Acclaim did not change anything in Crazy Taxi, they just wanted to make some quick money.

Graphics – 7 / 10

The graphics is ok, but not so much more than ok. Many changes could have been done and the graphics is really one of those. After has played The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker and Pikmin for a while I enjoyed this kind of graphics. There is nothing that it is really bad with it, it is in my opinion a little above the average. It could have been a lot better because when you, for example, drive out over an edge down to the sea the water does not move and when you have fallen for a second both the plateau you drove on and the sea is gone, everything turns to black except for the taxi, driver and customer.

Sound – 9 / 10

Excellent music I must say. If there is one thing Acclaim really has put their sole in, it must be the music. The music is mostly performed by Offspring, and for those who are fans of them this must be one of the best games. However, the music is after a couple of hours playing Crazy Taxi really annoying. It is overall really good music, even though it is easy to get annoyed of it.

Gameplay - 10 / 10

I give gameplay 10 out of 10 because I enjoy every single moment when I play. The first times I played Crazy Taxi I laughed all the time and that must mean that it is really good gameplay.

Overall - 8 / 10

Crazy Taxi is a FUN game. It is a shame that there is no multiplayer mode. It would not have been bad if some more levels had been available. It is not the best game I have played, but it is fun and it can make you awake in the middle of the night to try to get a better license. This is a game for you who like racing games, but are tired of playing normal ones. Buy it, it is worth it!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 09/13/03