Review by Ashton300

"Very, very nice."

I picked this game up originally as a rental. After 2 or 3 of them, and the unlocking of my 1st secret character, I went out and bought it. It now rests happily in my 6-game Cube library as one of my top 3 faves of the system. It's a wonderful, wonderful game for any 'cube owner, even if, like me, you don't care all that much for the Sports game genre. On with the review.

First of all, the graphics rock. The character models are very impressive, with tons of customizable features. The animations for all the tricks are spot on, and the levels are beautiful, some more realistic than others, like the LA level, complete with a gas station, car wash, highway, and various city buildings. The only downside is occasionally, albeit very rarely, the framerate dives, but only for a bit. Also, there's a bit of trouble with clipping, but once again, it's not that severe. Just what you've seen in the previous THPS games. I guess I'm used to it by now.

The gameplay is wonderful. Most levels have some main goals, like the High Score goals, the ''Collect S-K-A-T-E'' goal, ''Impress some people'' goals, and junk like that. Some levels have specific goals depending on the style of your skater (Street or Vert). There's not much variety, but then, there doesn't have to be.

Sound... I'm not much for Rap or Hip hop, or whatever this crap is, so I generally didnt like this sound track. I used the playlist editor to turn off most of the songs. Eugh. However, if you're into that stuff (you sicko), there's plenty for ya packed in here. The playlist editor allows you to customize your tunes, as in which will play, which will keep quiet, and the order they come in.

Control is nice, but if you're used to using a PSX controller, it'll take you a few plays of the game to get used to the feel. After that, it sticks with you forever. Like riding a bike or something.

The replay value here is through the roof. Tons and TONS of things to unlock. Characters, and the classic cheat options like Moon Physics, Sim mode, Kid mode.... You have to get 100% completion of all the goals in Career mode to unlock anything, so be prepared to work for those rewards!

All in all, you'll enjoy this game very much, even if you're not a sports fanatic.

Graphics 9/10