Review by Spoonie Luv 115

"A game not really worth playing more than once"

Hello, as this is my first review, it may not be perfect, but I'll do my best. First off, I'd like to comment on the rating that I gave this game. While some of you may be surprised that I only gave it a 6, there is nothing to be surprised about. A 6 is by no means a bad rating. I see other reviews and people bash the games and give them a rating of 7. If you don't like a game, then give it a low rating, THATS WHAT NUMBERS 1-5 ARE THERE FOR!

GAMEPLAY: 7/10
The gameplay of THPS3 has its up side and its down side. The cool thing is that there are a variety of tricks you can pull off, and it is very easy to learn how to play(I'll get to that later). On the down side, the game is not consistent in trick performance. For example, you can do 4 moves or more in one launch off a ramp or halfpipe, but when you ollie and try to do a double kickflip, it is simply impossible. Simply put, the tricks in the game are completely inconsistent with each other. However, one very cool feature of THPS3 is that you can customize a player to be like you or one of your friends. There are numerous clothes you can put on him (or her), and you can change their height, weight, haircolor, etc . You can even enter their birthplace.

GRAPHICS: 4/10
The graphics in THPS3 are mediocre, but they are certainly not the best thing you will ever see. We're talking about a Next-Gen system here people, the graphics in every game should be amazing. In THPS3, the graphics look very familiar to the graphics in THPS2 for the N64. That is simply not acceptable. Me and everyone else who owns a Gamecube did not pay $200 (or $150 for those panzies that had to wait for the prices to go down) for a system to have graphics similar to N64.

SOUND: 8/10
The sound in THPS3 is for the most-part superb. The sounds for landing on diffrent objects varies, as it should. If you land one wood, you will hear wood, if you land on gravel, you will hear gravel. The only thing that kept the sound from being rated a 10 was the sound when you hit a rail. In my personal skateboarding experience, i have NEVER heard a skateboard hit a rail and sound like that. It sounds like someone is playing the musical instrument of the triangle. With the exception of the sounds of the rails, the sound in THPS3 is very well done.

MUSIC: 10/10
It doesn't get better than this guys. The music in THPS3 is phenominal. Now im not saying that I like every single song, afterall, everyone has different preferences. But the music is very fitting to the environment. If you're playing a skateboarding game, you expect to hear skateboarding music, and thats exactly what you get. It is the kind of music that will get you stoked.

CONTROLS: 10/10
The controls in THPS3 are very well done. It is easy to make various combinations of tricks to get a higher score. Even for anyone who has never played a game from the THPS franchise they will be pulling 720 triple heelflips within 5 minutes.

LASTABILITY: 3/10
The first time through THPS3, you won't be able to put the controller down. It is a very addicting game. But after the first time through, its really not much fun to play anymore. I don't even try to beat the game again with any other people anymore, i just play the game to see what tricks I can pull.

RENT OF BUY?
It depends on how much you like skateboarding. I'm very big on skateboarding, so anyone else like me should definately think about buying this game. For those more casual players, just rent it. Anyone who really isn't into skateboarding will never pick this game up again once they beat it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 08/15/02, Updated 08/15/02