Review by Special Ed

"Better than I thought it would be........"

Wow. I couldn't stand Wave Race 64. I hated the control and almost everything about it. With Blue Storm, I was expecting a polished up version of the N64 version. That's essentially what I got, but for some reason this game seems miles ahead of Wave Rave 64. It might be the refined gameplay, it might be the refined graphics, but this game just seems far above its predecessor.

The environments in the game are amazing. They have tons of detail. The buildings are great looking. Even the turtles and dolphins underwater look great when you see them. The water effects are so realistic looking, I couldn't believe my eyes. The reflections were perfect. This game has some of, if not the best graphics I have ever seen. Period.

The music and sound effects are nothing extraordinary, but the up-beat music was good in my opinion, and the sounds were above average.

Play to race, or play to do stunts, this game has a wide variety of gameplay modes. Unlike the N64 prequel, Blue Storm features a excellent 4 player mode. The one player mode is good too. You can race in a championship style mode in which you race in a series of different courses. There are many selectable characters to start out with, and a few of them are from 1080 Snowboarding, like Ricky Winterborn. Though I haven't beaten the game yet, I think there are unlockable courses and characters. During races, all you have to do is go inside the buoys with arrows on them. Simple, huh?

Control: 7/10
The control is kind of sluggish in my opinion. If you run into a wall or something, it is sometimes hard to get back on course. Still, it isn't a big problem. Most of the time, it is easy to pull off tricks. some of the harder tricks can be a hassle though. To go and steer, it is really simple, and using turbos is easy too.

Buy or Rent: Rent if you weren't a fan of Wave Race 64 or if you are new to the series. Buy if you liked Wave Race 64.

This game is fun, though frustrating in some parts, such as doing certain tricks. So far, I think this is definitely one of the best GCN games.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/30/01, Updated 11/30/01