Review by wolverinefan

"A so-so follow up"

Story
There is no story, they don't even try to hint at one like they do in the original. I give story a 0/10

Control
The control is simple, responsive and easy to get the hang of. You never have to learn a move as they are all button presses. It's a little weird playing this game with the GCN controller though. I give control a 9/10

Voice Acting, Sound Effects and Music
The characters say things every now and then in a battle, nothing special, they sound okay. The sound effects are decent. Pokemon sound like they should, things go boom nicely and barrels break. The music is nice as it's classic tunes from the games that these characters have been in. I give voice acting, sound effects and music a 7/10

Game play
The game has a ton of modes. Let's split it up into what type of gaming they are. The fighting is the same as the first game. Button mashing fun. Still no true life bar, still have set number of lives and you can only win by knocking the others off the screen. No combos so the game is very simplistic. A new mode in the game plays like a platformer, stages take place on levels that some of the characters are from. It's cool and fun but it gets old quickly. The other mode is a challenge mode where you need to do certain things while following requirements. There is now a crap load of characters. A lot of them are just clones of other characters. You also get a lot more options and frankly, this is a bad thing. I shouldn't have to go through that many menus just to play a simple multiplayer game against a friend. You can also collect trophies in the game and there is a ton of those. Kinda addictive but still gets a little boring. Pretty much everything in the first game is here but not all of the stages. The new stages are nifty, I like the Pokefloats stage as it keeps you on your toes. My biggest problem with the game play is the fact that so many options slow down a game that should be played quickly because no one wants that many choices unless they are hosting a branching tournament, an option this game doesn't have but wouldn't that be sweet? I give game play a 8/10

Replay value
Addictive game play and a blast at parties, the game will last awhile but I grew tired of this game way sooner than I did with the original which I think was a much better game. Of course this is still the best fighting game on the Gamecube so it's worth picking up. Plus watching Pikachu use a machine gun is cool. I give replay value a 7/10

Final Score
I give Super Smash Bros. Melee a 8/10

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 10/10/07

Game Release: Super Smash Bros. Melee (US, 12/02/01)

Would you recommend this