Review by ScytheMan0

"One of the Best Gamecube Games, Hands Down"

Super Smash Brothers Melee ( or SSBM as it is commonly referred as) is a fantastic fighter game. It has a very innovative style of fighting, and to this day is played in tournaments around the world.

All the music was brilliant, and really suited all the stages. The sound effects were awesome too. Not one song is horrible, and all music are from the respected games that the stage comes from. Once you unlock most of the characters and trophies, you unlock sound test, where you can listen to all the sound effects, music, and character lines.

The graphics are great, and very smooth. I am still today seeing things on the characters or in the backgrounds of the stages that I have never noticed before. The graphics might not be up to par with today's standards, but they are great for a Gamecube game.

Game Play: 10/10

The game play of Super Smash Brothers Melee is better than most game play of games today. There are two modes, Single-Player, and Multi-Player. Multi-Player is for when you want to battle with computers, or against any of your friends. This mode is great, because with computers to play against, you always have an oppenent. There are two types of battle modes in Multi-Player Mode. The first is a free-for-all. This is where there are no teams, and everyone is against each other. The second mode is Team Battle. This is where you change your character's color to suit your team. There can be 2 versus 2 matches, 1 versus 1 matches, and 3 versus 1 matches. You can turn friendly-fire, which is where you can hurt your teammates, on or off, depending on how you want to play. In the options for Multi-Player mode, you can set items, which include Fire Flower, Bunny Hood, and Warp Star, on or off. It all is your choice. You can also set the damage ratio, which is how far people get sent, the handicap for people, which stages will be picked when you pick the "Random Stage" Option, and how many points get taken away when you suicide.

The second mode is Single-Player. In this, you can do a story-type mode, Training, to hone your skills for Multi-Player, Home-Run contest, where you hit a sandbag with a Home-Run Bat to see how far it goes, Target test, where you do tests of characters ability to hit targets, Multi-Man Melee, where you can face Wire-Frames in different types of battles, and Event Mode. In the story-mode, you can pick from Adventure, where you go through special stages trying to get through everything in between, Classic, where you face-off against many other characters, and All-Star, which is unlocked. All-Star is where you fight all the characters, but in different groups. In the Event Mode, you go through special scenarios on almost all the stages in the game. In this you can unlock new characters, trophies, and stages! There are 51, each one challenging in its own different way to keep you busy. All-in-all, Single-Player is just as good as Multi-Player.

Controls: 10/10

The controls are simple, yet hard to master. The controls are smooth, not choppy. This game will let you button-mash. People usually do better though if you learn to use every button and move. There are 3 ways to jump; Up on the control Stick, X, or Y. Z, L/R + A will make you grab. A is for standard attacks, B is for special. You move with the Control Stick. I would not change anything about the controls.

Characters: 10/10

There are 14 characters that you start out with, and 11 that you can unlock. All have different moves, jump height, size, weight, special moves, grabs, throws, ways of dodging, and much much more. There are no "broken," or overpowered characters. All characters are good if you can use them correctly. There are no characters that I would add.

Re-Playability, for lack of a better term: 10/10

Super Smash Brothers Melee is my most used Gamecube game. I play it almost every single day. It is great for parties, having a few friends over, or just hanging out by yourself. I to this day and still learning new things. My friends and I play it all the time. This is a great game that should not be put down unless to eat, sleep, or answering your guardian. It is that good.

Buy this game. It is one of the best games for the Gamecube out there, probably one of the best fighters ever made. Everything about it is good.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10

Originally Posted January 1, 2008, 12:01 A.M

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/03/08

Game Release: Super Smash Bros. Melee (US, 12/02/01)