Review by DarkMark42

"Not as good as everyone claims it to be, but still a good game."

Super Smash Bros. Melee is the second in the series of Nintendo characters beating eachother up. It was released for the Nintendo Gamecube in 2001, and it's said to be a killer game and the best game on the Nintendo Gamecube. This I cannot understand. I mean, it's a good game, but seeing all the 10's, it's just a tad overrated, and this is coming from a huge Nintendo fanboy. Nonetheless, it's still a great game.

Story- N/A. There really isn't a story, as it's a spinoff fighting game. It's just a bunch of Nintendo stars beating eachother up.

Graphics- the graphics are pretty good, especially as an early Nintendo Gamecube game. You can see the envorments of all the stages based on the levels from the games that all these Nintendo stars were in. It all looks good, nothing to complain about. 9/10

Music/Sound Effects- another good catageory, no complaints. You hear some of the classic music played in some of the stages. There's new music too, and all of it is good. 9/10

Gameplay- the game play is of course the most important part. The game has good game play, otherwise I wouldn't be giving it a 9/10. The game play and entire game is just like the original. You have stages to play in and fight, and you must knock the oponent off of the stage. You can beat him up to up your chances of beating him. There's many ways to play, and it's obviously multi-player. There's the adventure mode, and the Events. You can unlock several hidden characters in various ways. The included characters are: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Yoshi, Ganondorf, Samus, Gigglypuff, Pikachu, the Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, Fox(best character hands down, err, best fighter), etc. Great game play overall. 9/10

Replay Value- is good with all the features, but there's many other games to play, including the sequel. However, with all the characters to use, all the modes, and even training, the replay value is pretty high. 8/10

Fun Factor- lots of fun. Up to four people can play, making it more fun.

Overall- a good, yet slightly overrated game. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is out, so you won't be playing this one anymore. I got it pretty late when I got my Nintendo Gamecube, so maybe that's why I only find it to be a 9/10 game. Still a great game though.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 07/08/08

Game Release: Super Smash Bros. Melee (US, 12/02/01)