Review by BowserCharizard

"The game that killed Super Smash Brothers"

First of all I used to LOVE this game with all my heart. However, as I played more and better games and returned to the original Smash on the 64, I quickly found out that Melee was a sham. The cast is great and memorable, and the visuals are amazing, but aside from that, there's basically nothing. The music is astounding, but that's pretty much the only reason why you'll want to keep this game. Other than that, after three days or so, unless you have great friends around for multiplayer, you'll grow tired of this piece of trash and toss it into the closet. If you're only using your Gamecube or Wii just for this game, do yourself a favor and either get more games, or sell your system, because having a system JUST for this is basically foul play.

Graphics: 9
Still impressive even to this day. Looking at the background for some of the stages are amazing, most notably Princess Peach's Castle, Rainbow Road, Corneria, Yoshi's Island, Brinstar,and, of course, Jungle Japes.

Sound: 8
While a few characters' voices aren't right (cough, cough Luigi cough, cough), I greatly enjoyed the music. Who doesn't like the beautiful remixes of the Mario, Pokemon, and Star Fox songs? Plus, Mute City may have the second best song in the entire game, but it would be second if it wasn't for the fact that I LOVE Mario music altogether much more than F-ZERO.

Gameplay: 10
Despite the different play styles of the characters, the Gamecube controller works absolutely well, even for a piece of crap like this. The best characters to control are easily Mario, Yoshi, and Pikachu, with Fox coming very, very close.

Replay: 4
Unless you have friends, after three days, the replay in this will dry up faster than an oasis in the desert. There's basically nothing other than Multiplayer and replaying the events after you completely clear the game. Unless, you enjoy getting the trophies (which get old after the first five hours, I'll let you know). Again, unless you have friends at your house constantly ready with their controllers, you'll get incredibly bored of this game.

Overall: 6
This "gem" is not a gem. It's a sham. A ripoff. It's Sakurai's way of getting your money and laughing off to the bank. Why play this piece of crap when there's so much better games on this system?It's good to play with friends as your favorite Nintendo characters, but if you're intent on only single player, just rent this, or better yet, avoid this. Hell, I recommend getting the likes of Mario Kart: Double Dash or Mario Power Tennis over this piece of turd, they are better. Simply put, just avoid playing this game altogether. You won't regret it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 12/02/08

Game Release: Super Smash Bros. Melee (US, 12/02/01)