Review by Khmai_Knight88

"The Most Insane Fighting Game Ever"

Intro

Here's my quick review of SSB Melee: the most insane fighting game ever.

Story: (not rated)

There are no story or plot elements in this game. Don't be fooled by the adventure mode.

For a game that was release 7 years ago, this game still looks good even to this day. The character models are well done and the animations are top notch. The design of the stages are good but nothing too spectacular. Most of them are simple but there are some that stand out like the Pokemon Stadium with its changeable field. The background details needs more work but it's something you won't be too worried about. Something that needs to be mention is that even with four players on the field battling it out and a ton of Pokemon summoning animations, there aren't really any slowdown which is a plus.

Gameplay: 10/10 (2-4 players) 9/10 (single player)

I wish I could rate it higher but this is where the game shines the brightest. I rated the gameplay section into two categories because in order to enjoy this game to the maximum, you'll need to play this game with friends. There are so many modes and so many match types to customize that I don't know where to begin. You can play in a coin mode where the objective is to beat your enemies and collect the most coins to win a match. There are also special melee matches such as giant, tiny, and invisible to name a few. You can choose from an increased number of items/weapons and set its options in any way you like. For instance, if you want a Pokemon battle, just set the Pokeball as the only item and it's rate at high for more all out fun.

For a game that is built for multiplayer madness, there is still a large amount of things to do in single player. There's the classic, adventure and all star modes. You can complete the events mode that has a list of objectives and there's the standard mini-games such as home run contest, target practice, and multi-man melee. Like the last game, you can unlock secret characters and stages. For those looking for a challenge, try to complete the entire trophy collection... ;)

All of the classic Nintendo's themes from Super Mario to Zelda to Metroid to the Pokemon battle theme, they are all in the game. The last thing I'll say here is that the sound effects and music in this game are superb.

Replayability: 10/10

I got this game in early 2002 and I still play it to this day whenever my friends/cousins are over. You can just play it over and over and over again...It's that fun.

Conclusion:

This is the best selling game on the Cube for a reason. The gameplay and replayability in this game is just ridiculously good. Online matches would have really added more value to this game but Nintendo decided (at the time) that most people do not play games online. Nevertheless, this game is a classic that all Nintendo fans should have in their collection.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 12/14/08

Game Release: Super Smash Bros. Melee (US, 12/02/01)