Review by goppers

"Better than Brawl!!!"

Super Smash Bros. Melee is a great game. I really like the graphics of the characters, especially how you can actually see three dimensions when you pause. But, I really don't like how there aren't any options with Stamina Mode.

Storyline: ? / 10

I can't really rate the storyline for this game, because there isn't one. If there was, it would probably be, "All the major Nintendo characters have come together to battle. Who will come out on top?" Under these circumstances, I can't really rate the Storyline.

Graphics: 10 / 10

The graphics of Super Smash Bros. Melee are great. I really like how the characters look three dimensional, especially when you pause in the middle of a match. The backgrounds are well designed, and I really like how even the ranged attacks, such as Link's arrow and Mario's fireball, look really three dimensional. All the graphics of this game, emphasizing the characters themselves, are really great.

Gameplay: 9 / 10

The majority of this game is really good, but I have some problems. For one, the Event Matches are only 1-player, unlike Brawl. Another downside of Super Smash Bros. Melee is that there aren't as many characters to choose from. I know there are 25, but many are simply replicas. For example, Mario and Dr. Mario, or Link and Young Link. Other than that, this game's general gameplay is very well designed.

Sound: 10 / 10

The sound of this game is excellent. I couldn't find anything wrong with any sound effects. I really like how the items make a sound extremely close, if not exactly right, to their actual sound effect. For example, the Poke-ball makes a great sound effect, and the Beam Sword sounds actually real. The sound of Super Smash Bros. Melee is excellent, if not perfect.

Amusement: 9 / 10

Super Smash Bros. Melee is a very fun game, except for the single-player options. The Event Matches up to No. 45 are easy, but after that, they get a lot more difficult. Also, when you have to Continue, it cuts half your score! And another thing, the Target Tests are too difficult, referring to Pichu and Young Link's Target Test. Other than those problems, and because this game has so many different things to do, I rate the amusement of Melee as a nine out of ten.

Overall Rating: 9 / 10

Overall, I rate this game as a nine out of ten, mainly because of the amusement. My personal favorite part of this game is the stages. The thing I dislike is mainly the amusement, especially the Target Tests and Event Matches (after No. 45). So, in conclusion, I enjoy this game so much, I rate it a nine out of ten.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/02/09

Game Release: Super Smash Bros. Melee (US, 12/02/01)