Review by xXhakuhyouXx

"10 years of playing this game, and I'm STILL not tired of it!"

Haven't you ever wanted to put together all the characters from all the video games, and just let them fight each other to their deaths? Well, with the Super Smash Bros. series, YOU CAN. It may not be every character from every game and every platform, but it's a sound selection of popular characters like Mario, Link, Pikachu, Samus Aran, Fox, and Captain Falcon, to name a few. You can have up to four people fighting at once. There's also tournament mode, adventure mode, all-star mode, and a whole slew of fun modes to battle in like slow-mo, no-zoom (Every try having a riot in an ant farm? In some levels, you will do just that on this mode.), and even more. You can unlock new characters, collect trophies, and pwn your friends.

This game's storyline is pretty similar to the original, but, instead of being dolls, the characters were action figures. Let me explain what that means. In this game, you are a person making your action figures of Nintendo characters fight against each other. In the original, you were a person making your Nintendo plush dolls fight against each other. However, it looks real as ever; you don't really see that they're action figures until you beat the game and watch the scene before the credits roll. This isn't a spoiler; if you played the first game, it was in the opening scene where you found this out!

Graphics 10/10: For a Gamecube game, and for so many animations and types of animations used for the different characters, these graphics are really good. Even today, they'd be acceptable at best. They're really fluent, and they don't look pixelated, even when you zoom in. This game boasts it's smooth, realistic graphics by letting you take pictures during certain modes of the game, and by letting you zoom in far enough to see the littlest details on the characters and in the graphics. I enjoy pausing randomly to see cool poses and awesome graphics, even now. I know that it was a huge thing when this game was out to take pictures of cool poses during a fight. This is DEFINITELY deserving of a 10!

Controls 10/10: Most fighting games have all these hard-to-learn combinations (Ever tried Primal Rage on 32X?), however, the controls in SSBM are great for rookies and veterans alike. The only problem I have is the shape of the Gamecube controller; however, that's not the game's fault, so, the score is still a 10. I like that the smash moves only require the simultaneous press of two buttons; MUCH easier than, say, trying to perform a Hadouken in Street Fighter.

Music 10/10: I really enjoyed the music in this game! The songs made specifically for the game sounded very intense, and really get you in the fighting mood. The other songs are taken from Nintendo games (Like the Mario or Zelda games), and played in the appropriate levels/arenas. My favorite songs are the Donkey Kong rap, the Zelda 2 palace song, and the Fire Emblem theme. I think the Mario music is fine, but, to me, it seems a little overused. Seriously, how many times have we heard those songs already? I don't want to hear them again. In the words of my cousin, "Grandma, if you sing that song ONE MORE TIME!".

Gameplay 10/10: I enjoy this game's gameplay mechanics. The fighting goes very smoothly. I think that the characters should have been able to jump a little higher, however, in flat levels/arenas, that's not much of an issue. I also think that Sudden Death Mode needs to have a little less damage, so that one smash hit doesn't knock you out of the ring; maybe two would have been better.

Replay Value 10/10: I've been playing this for approximately 10 years now, and I'm really not that tired of it. I'm getting SSBB soon, however, I think I may still go back and play SSBM once in a while. I really enjoy it. I don't think nostalgia or loyalty to Nintendo is really making my score this high; it's really a good game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/04/12

Game Release: Super Smash Bros. Melee (Player's Choice) (US, 08/25/02)