Review by GhostFalcon

"Back once again and in better form!"

Without a doubt in my mind, SSBM is the most addictive game I have played. Seriously, time is lost when playing this game. I am not productive because of this game (ok, I've pried myself away to do some work). It's SSB, but better.

I don't know why people don't think these graphics are absolutely fantastic. They are beautiful, even if some of it is very retro. Characters are modeled perfectly. In comparing this one to the first one, the first one looks like a Nintendo compared to a Super Nintendo (wow?). The animations are quick, smooth, and exciting. The colors are bright! The backgrounds look fantastic. Honestly, graphics are best when they don't hinder from the game, but enhance it instead. That's simply what SSBM does. It's especially noticeable with giant characters.

I love this fighting engine! It's just so easy to pick up, yet impossible to master. With the added additions to defense, edge guarding is MUCH more difficult. Air dodge turns out to be a great move as projectiles and people alike just float right by the character. Dodging on the ground turns out to best somewhat of an essential skill because shields are not nearly as durable as before.

The speed of the game has been turned up a bit, and it plays well once you get used to it. With SSBM, it's harder to absolutely dominate a fight than in SSB, but the best players still win. Characters this time around are MUCH better balanced. No one stands out particularly, except perhaps Link, but even he has noticeable weaknesses. Luigi is quicker, which comes as a blessing because he was WAY TOO SLOW in the first game.

All in all, the game has more features, thus simply expanding gameplay. The events mode is fun, as well as the little mini-games. Home-run isn't all that great, but the 100-man Melee and such are.

The only thing I'm disappointed in is a random character choice. I'd just love to be switched everytime I die. It would create a varied, skill-based game mastering level of play. One noticeable difference is the difficulty of the game. The computer is much stronger than before, but still fallible nonetheless.

Jeez, the music in this game is some of the most memorable ever. The sounds are powerful and clear. There's not much to say, but it does what sound should - enhance the game experience.

Replay Value: 100/10

Yes, 100/10. It will never, ever get old, as long as you have friends. Even without friends! 25 characters is fantastic variety of play. Let me get this across - clones are not clones, they are more like ''similars.'' Ganondorf is supposedly a clone of Cap. Falcon. They have the same moves... but Ganondorf is much stronger yet much slower. Dr. Mario is a little different, and so is Falco from Fox, as well as the others. (I hear Pichu STINKS) :)

With a hundreds of varieties to play, no one will run out of things to do. Invisible mode, giant mode, lightning mode, etc etc etc!

Wow, I sound like a fan boy, but this game is just great. I do have a couple quarrels that don't deserve point docking... but throws absolutely stink. They do MINIMAL damage and don't have a very good amount of distance. That said, it is a balancing factor, as it was too strong before. Now it's a bit too weak. Also, the controls are a wee bit sensitive, but nothing to bicker about. GET THIS GAME. :)

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/03/01, Updated 12/03/01