Review by roadkill

"Kicking the crap out of your friends has never been so much fun!"

Ok, now I must admit, I didn’t really like Super Smash Brothers all too much. My first memories of it were playing it at a friend’s house with his little brother on a tiny 13 inch TV. All the characters where so small, I didn’t know what was going on. But, with Super Smash Brothers: Melee (and a 32 inch television) all of that changed.

Graphics – 10
Oh man, no doubt, great graphics here. This game features fast frame rates with vibrant colors. This game has Nintendo’s usual “bright pastel” color pallet, but it really suites this game well. The characters are awesomely colored and detailed. They even have characters that haven’t been seen since the NES with just as beautiful textures as the rest of the Nintendo regulars. Quality really shines through with this title. There are 18 beautifully done courses plus 5 to unlock.

Concept – 8
Ok, here’s the skinny. All this game is basically is a up to 4-player fighting game. But this is more the just a beat-em-up or a button-masher. This game actually takes skill to be good at. This game is a 2D fighter taken place in a 3D environment. But, enough with that, I’ll talk more about the battles in the battle section, battling is just a portion of hat you can do in this game. First off, in battle you can gain coins. These coins are more then just something to look at, they serve a purpose. In this game, you can earn trophies. However, say there is a rare trophy and you want it but you are unable to win it by just battle. You can put those coins you earn to good use. In this game, there is a lottery. You can wager an amount of coins and the more you wager, the better your chances of getting a new trophy. Now, of course when you start a new game, you have a pretty good chance of getting a new trophy right off the bat. You can also view trophies and view your collection of knick-knacks, which not only include you trophies, but also the game boy, Game Boy Advance, N64, SNES, and your newly acquired Gamecube (of course). It’s a great feature and I think it adds a lot to a game.

Sound – 10
Just as good as the previous two, I wouldn’t change a thing here. The music in this game may remind of Nintendo games of the past such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Starfox and many more.

Battle – 8
The battles are awesome but there is only two flaws. Number one is that you really shouldn’t play this game with a TV smaller then lets say 19 inches. Any smaller and you may suffer eye strain, that is if you plan to play with four players. The other problem I have is that stupid status bar sometime gets in the way of the action. I mean, putting it right there at the bottom? What was Nintendo thinking? But, even with that minor flaw, this is still a great game. Like I said earlier, there are a few different types of battles. There is classic were you just face the opponent(s) and do the usual butt-kicking. There is adventure which I only played through once and it really was pretty cool. I was playing as Samus, and I started off be playing in a level of something like a 3 dimensional stage of Mario Brothers for the NES. Then a stage from Metroid, then Zelda. It just kept going on till I played stages from every character in the game. There are also mini-games. Like the event battles were you’re a certain character (often assigned) and you have to accomplish a certain goal (goal may not be to beat the snot out of you opponent). There is also a mode were it’s you versus 10 guys and you have to defeat all of them and try to achieve the fastest time. There is also this fun mini game called sandbag where you have to hit this sandbag off the platform and try to hit it the furthest.

Characters – 10
There are 14 in all. Some of your favorite characters that you haven’t seen since the NES are in here. Like Ness and the Ice Climbers. Of course Mario is here, but his brother Luigi I hear has inherited a mansion, so he won’t appear in this one. Other characters I haven’t mentioned are Princess Toadstool (Peach), Pikachu, Bowser, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Caption Falcon (from F-Zero I think), Fox, Kirby, Zelda, Link plus there are 5 characters to be unlocked.

Control – 9
Well, the Gamecube controller is rather new so it’ll take some time to get used to. But other then that, its perfect. Left and right shoulder buttons activate your shield, X and Y jump, A and B attack. Also the C stick does moves when in certain positions and the directional pad does posses (showboats). I don’t know what Z does yet, I kinda forget the button is up there.

Replay – 10
This is a great party game (as long as you have a big enough TV) and even has a good single player mode that will keep you busy for days, weeks, months, depending on how often you play and how skilled you are.

Overall – 10
This is a great game a definitely be in any collection of a Gamecube owner. I wasn’t really keen to the first Super Smash Brothers for the N64, but this one just, well, let’s just say this one’s a keeper.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/09/01, Updated 12/10/01