Review by Zopharoth

"I can't go over 10 points!? Awww......"

Here we go....

First of all, I'd like to say these are some of the BEST graphics I have seen for any system ever. And so smooth too! Everything runs at 60 fps, and with more than 100 hours on the game, I have not detected as much as a hint of any slowdown. And the actual visuals are amazing! From the stitching on Mario's pants to the fur on Fox's head, everything in the game is insanely detailed. The best part is.... NO MORE (almost) 2D SPRITES!!! Graphics don't make the game (look at Final Fantasy 8), but they sure do help.

Awwww.... I'd like to go higher than 10, but oh well.... Let's discuss music first. Almost every single music track is a remix of a popular theme from the games featured. There are a few new ones, but they won't interest most players; don't get me wrong, they ARE good, but not up to the quality of the remixes. As for the remixes, I can't think of a better word than ''WOW'' to describe them. It's hard to go into detail about them, but if you liked the music from a bunch of those old Nintendo games, you will love the soundtrack on this little optical disc. Now for the sound effects. For the *boom* and *whack* sorta sounds, I'd say they are appropriate and realistc, but do not really affect the game that much. The voices are very cool, however. All returning characters basically have their old voices back (with the exception of Ness, whose voice is somewhat deeper). Fox talks now, but not much. All the new characters have appropriate voices, and Marth and Roy speak Japanese. Overall, the sound is one of this game's strongest points with around 40 music tracks total.
On a side note, any EarthBound fans like myself will be pleased to hear that this game includes remixes of the Mother 1 and Mother 2/EarthBound themes, as well as Mother 1's Onett theme.

Story: N/A

Story? Hmm, what? Seriously, this game has no story and it's probably better that way (just look at most fighting game stories).

Ahh, the most important category. The basic controls for this game are amazing. They basically allow you to do almost anything. Each character has they're own set of regular moves, which includes about 20 different attacks using the A button. Each character also has 4 special attacks, 1 of which is usually an attack that doubles as an extra jump. Aside from attacking, a character can use a shield (L or R buttons), grab and throw (Z button or L/R button +A), rolling dodge (L or R buttons + analog stick), and air dodge (L or R buttons in the air). Adding to this already large move list is a set of nearly 60 different items. This adds insane variety or every single match. To players of the first SSB, this game will be easy to jump into, but prepare to be surprised. Although the controls are essentially the same, the overall feel is somewhat different, and I can't quite put my finger on why.... Although the controls are great, and the GameCube controller just feels good to hold, I still prefer the slightly more solid feel of the first SSB. As for difficulty, the settings are adjustable, but you gotta be pretty frickin' good to unlock everything. Good luck!

Replayability: 10/10

What? No infinity key? Seriously, this game has got more replay value than you can shake a 30-foot cattle prod at. With 25 characters, 29 stages, nearly 60 items, and about 20 different ways to play, this game never gets old. Get three more people with controllers, and you can party all night.

Extra Features: 10/10

Now I'm not kidding, where's that infinity key? There are so many extra features in this game, you might forget about the actual game! By playing all the different modes and accomplishing certain tasks, you can collect nearly 300 detailed trophies, all of which have some very interesting information attached. This game is what Nintendo is all about.

Buy/Rent: Buy

Words cannot describe how badly everyone in this world should buy this game (except for bin Laden, who just sucks). It's your money, but I highly recommend you go buy this game and sleep with it under your pillow every night.

Final Score: 10/10

This is THE game to own in 2001 and beyond. I even enjoyed it more than Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2 (go buy that too). If you don't buy this, may god have mercy on you. Peace.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 12/13/01, Updated 12/13/01