Review by THAguyINgta3

"Probably The Best Fighting Game Ever"

Super Smash Bros. Melee was a system seller for me. This and Metroid Prime were the two top reasons that I bought a Nintendo GameCube. The Super Smash Bros. series is an awesome series. I mean, who ever thought that Nintendo would make a game where they have classic Nintendo characters beat the crap out of other classic Nintendo characters. I mean, think about it. I bet there was a lot of dispute about whether to make this game or not. Anyways, there was a Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64. It was an awesome game and people went wild over it. It had to be one of the most loved games on the Nintendo 64 if not the most loved altogether. It was one of the reasons that I actually kept the console as long as I did after it died when all of the new consoles got released (Xbox, GameCube, PlayStation2). Anyways, the game was great. After it got announced for GameCube, people went wild with anticipation. I mean, can you blame them? I sure as hell can't. So I guess you want to know if the game will disappoint you or not, right? Well, plain and simple, the game exceeds the greatness of it's predecessor in so many ways. Now, without further adieu, on to the review.

The controls are good. They are very responsive and the button configuration is good. There isn't a custom configuration, but I think you will be able to deal with the controls. Because of the GameCube controller being set up like it is, I don't think they could have done a better job with the controls. Overall, good controls and they are very responsive.

The fighting is good. They excel over many other famous fighting games in my opinion. Each character has a plethora of different attacks. I just wish there would have been a move list when you pause the game. This would have made it a little easier to get used to your character of choice. You start out in a fight with 0% on your health thing. As you get higher and higher, you have a higher risk of dying. You see, the point of the match is to knock the other characters out of the arena. It is almost impossible to do when a character is under 100%, but as your percent rises, the more vulnerable you are to get knocked out. Weapons are also thrown in to the mix to help the fighting. Overall, great fighting.

The single player is great. This is one of the only fighting games where the single player almost never gets stale. There is just so much the game provides that it is unbelievable. There are loads of different modes of play too. The multiplayer is even better than the single player. You can duke it out with up to three of your friends and just beat the hell out of each other until you feel like quitting. Overall, great single and multiplayer.

The characters are probably the best aspect of the game. You have all those famous Nintendo characters just beating the crap out of each other. The characters range from Samus Aran, Peach, Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Ness, Captain Falcon, and Star Fox to Mewtwo, Pikachu, Pichu, Roy, and so much more. You have old school Nintendo favorites mixed in with a lot of new school favorites. There are probably around 20 characters overall and they all have their own attacks. Overall, great characters.

The levels are based off of levels from old Nintendo games. For instance, there are lots of levels from Mario games and there is a level from the F-Zero games. Every character has their own level. Like, Donkey Kong has his little congo hut thing while Pikachu has his little Pokemon Stadium place. Each level is really different. Most of them have things that will interact with you. For instance, Ness's level is based on a few houses in the street. Every so often, a car might come. If you are in the street, you will get hit and lose health or whatever. Another example is like how in Samus Aran's level, the lava rises every so often and you can get burned in it and lose health. This just makes the fighting that much more entertaining. The level designs look great and are designed well. Overall, great levels.

The weapons are pretty cool. They add to the replayability. There are lots of weapons to your disposal. There are the Poke balls that unleash deadly or not so deadly Pokemon, laser guns, swords, baseball bats, little flower things that let you blow fire, and so much more. The weapons drop from the sky ever so often and you just have to pick them up. These add to the fighting experience in my opinion, but they can be used pretty cheaply sometimes. Overall, the weapons are good, but some of them need to have toned down power.

The unlockables are normal like in any fighting game. You can unlock levels, new characters, more modes of play, and these little trophy things. Now the trophies are probably a first. To get them, you need to kill a certain enemy, do something special, have a certain save on your memory card, or beat the game with certain people. Now, I really like these trophies because they actually are of some use. Well not really use, but they are useful in a way for they give the history on Nintendo franchises and characters. I really liked this feature. As for unlocking other things, it can get kind of ridiculous. All of the characters except for two can be unlocked by beating the game. Now, there is an exception for two characters. They have to be obtained by playing so many hours in versus mode. This is ridiculous because it becomes a tedious task to just unlock a certain character to use. For example, I think it said that you have to play in versus mode for 20 hours. I mean, this might not sound like that much, but since there is so much crap in the game to do, this might make you want to put this last on your list. Anyways, I find it kind of ridiculous. Overall, the unlockable things are good, but the ways to unlock them can be outrageous.

The replayability is good. It will take you a long time to unlock and or beat everything. The single player alone will make you want to play this game over and over again. The multiplayer will do the same. As I stated before, there are loads of things to unlock so you will have a long and enjoyable gaming experience with this. There are a few different modes of play like Challenge where you have to do a certain objective. These can range from killing 100 Mario's to raise to a certain point in a level. There are many other modes of play besides this. Overall, great replayability. The overall gameplay is spectacular. The fighting is solid and the replay is great.

The graphics are great. They are in full 3-D so you might be a little surprised when you see some of your favorite Nintendo characters from the NES and SNES days when they are three dimensional. The graphics are overall beautiful. Everything looks great. It really takes advantage of the GameCube's hardware.

The sound is good. The music in the level sounds like music from the game that the level is from. For instance, you will hear some old school Mario music in the Mushroom Kingdom levels. It gives you that sense of nostalgia and it is a great feeling. It makes you want to break out the old NES and SNES for a gaming session or two. Overall, great music and sound.

To buy or to rent, you ask? I would definitely buy this game. It will give you many hours of joy for both single player and multiplayer. Overall, this is a system-seller. I gladly bought a system just for this. This is a must-own for all gamers. Buy it. Now.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/21/03, Updated 02/21/03