Review by Turbo Kirby

"SSBM >>>>>>> j00"

You might remember a few years back, when Nintendo first came up with the idea of a fighting game with Nintendo characters. So they created Super Smash Bros. Wow, it is impossible for anyone who plays this game not to like it. This game was one of Nintendo’s greatest ideas. But as awesome as that game was, this game is ten million times better! Some might think many liked it because it was one of the first games for the Gamecube, when only a few other games were out. But that is not the case. Well, it is, but it is also liked because it is a great game. You ask why it is a great game? Because it has a lot more characters, more courses, new features, event matches, and so on. The characters include all of the ones from the original game like Link, Mario, Samus, Pikachu, Kirby, Yoshi, Fox, etc. and it adds on many new characters, like Bowser, Peach, Zelda, Ice Climbers, and more! But what is it exactly that makes this game so great? Well, that's what I'm here to talk about.

Controls - 10/10.

Wow, this game has great controls. What I like about it is that they make every button do something, and all the characters are easy to use, from Kirby's uppercut to Zelda's teleport. This game's controls fit perfectly for the Gamecube. When my friends and I have a melee, everything goes very quickly, unlike what it would be if the controls were bad, because then it would go very slow. I can not really describe the goodness of these controls; you will have to just try them out for yourself!

Gameplay - 10/10.

They improved this a lot since the first Super Smash. Unlike back then, this game has three one player modes: Classic, Adventure, and All-Star. (In the original one, it just had what is now Classic.) Classic is where you simply fight enemies, and every once in a while you will have a chance to get a trophy, (kind of pointless, but it can be really fun!) and then you will fight Master Hand at the end of it. Adventure mode is sort of the same, but also very different. In Adventure, you will start out in Mushroom Kingdom (not the course; it is like the ones from the first Mario games.) Some of the spots in this are the same as Classic mode, but most have something different. After fighting Samus, you'll have to reach safety before the whole planet of Brinstar explodes. You will have to search for the Triforce in the Zelda themed underground maze. I won't tell you about All-Star mode (it is something that you unlock), except that I really enjoy it, and if you really want to know how to get it, to read the FAQ's! Trust me, while this is a fighting game, it will take you a long while to unlock everything this game has to offer. (I am thinking specifically of one secret character.) But all of that just makes for a better gameplay!

Graphics - 10/10

And if you thought the first one's graphics were good. The graphics of Super Smash Bros. Melee are a lot better. They made everyone from the original game look better, and more realistic. Kirby, Samus, Link, Mario, Ness, Fox, Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Yoshi, and Captain Falcon all look so much better. And the new characters that are added look great too! Not just them either, their moves too look fantastic. I personally pause very often (just ask my friends!) to see something that has just happened in the melee, whether it be an attack, an item, or something else, to see it with its excellent graphics. CJayC (the owner of Gamefaqs, if you do not know!) even used some pictures from Super Smash Bros. Melee for his Summer Contest this year. I remember seeing that he used some pictures of Zelda and Samus, and probably some other characters from this game in at least one of their matches.

Sound - 9/10

This game makes sure that it has great sound here. How does it make sure? Well, for one thing, each course has its own song or songs usually based off the character’s music for that course. (Like Samus will have Metroid music, Link will have Legend of Zelda music, etc.) Also, their walking, fighting, kicking, punching, and just about anything else the characters can do include great sound. The only slight problem here is that sometimes, I find the tunes sort of repetitive. This should not matter however, because you should be concentrating on fighting your enemies. Also, there is a way to listen to all of the sound you hear in this game, but I won’t tell you what is, or how to get it. But do not be afraid to turn the volume up high! I promise you, you will be glad if you do. It has all of the excellent Nintendo music, and includes some of the best sounds and tunes on the Nintendo Gamecube.

Difficulty - 10/10

Whether you like it nice and easy, or rough and hard, you will be satisfied with Super Smash Bros. Melee. In the popular versus mode, you set your opponents from level one to level nine. Level one is very easy, and fun if you just want to beat up your opponent. Set it to level nine if you really want a challenge, and want to get better at the game. But if you do not want it as easy as level one, but not as hard as level nine, you can just set it in between those. I personally like to fight the computer players at level five. Not just here does it offer different difficulties, it also does the same thing in the one player mode. This does not have level one through nine though, it just simply asks you if you want it very easy, easy, normal, hard, or very hard. Anyone can definitely enjoy the difficulty of this game. Amateurs can feel good about their virtual fighting ability, and experts can feel good knowing that they can beat the hardest computers in this game.

Story - N/A

Sorry, but this game really doesn’t have a story. It is a fighting game, and usually fighting games do not have stories. This one is included. However, that is why I can not really take off any points, because fighting games are not required to have stories. If it has a story at all, then it would be that all of the characters want to defeat Master Hand, but that doesn’t really count as a story. If you think is, then that is fine. It just proves Super Smash Bros. Melee to be an even better game than it already is.

Replayability - 10/10

This game was practically MEANT for its replayability. I got Super Smash Bros. Melee in February of 2002, but, over a year and a half later, I still enjoy playing this game. Any other game would have gotten pretty boring and dull by now. I honestly believe that this game has the best replayability of all time… at least so far. The one player modes are fun to replay, but what makes it really great is it’s versus mode. My friends and I have spent many, many hours fighting each other in this great mode. I can not see anything they could do to really improve the replayability in this game, it’s already perfect.

Multiplayer - 10/10

Come on, this game was made more for playing with friends then playing by yourself. While playing by yourself is fun, playing with friends is ten million times better. You and friends can go at it for however long you want to, using the excellent versus mode that I have already mentioned. Honestly, this needs no explanation. Just play the game and you will see. Whenever my friends come over, we immediately put in Super Smash Bros. Melee for some fun multiplayer action. Also, unlike some games where you can only battle with one other friend, in this game, you can battle up to three friends. The multiplayer alone is enough for you to buy this game.

Rent or Buy - Well, in a review, this game has great controls, amazing gameplay, outstanding graphics and sound, a choice of difficulty, and the best multiplayer and replayability I have ever seen! I have just three words for you. Buy it now. If you do not have this game, you need to get it immediately! Super Smash Bros. Melee is a staple in the Gamecube collection. This game alone is worth getting a Gamecube for. If you like the original, then you will DEFINITELY like this game. So get some money (however you need to get the money, get it!) and go to your local video game store, and buy Super Smash Bros. Melee today! I am shocked that you don’t already have this game, but you can still decide to buy this fantastic game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 11/08/03