Review by Dranze

"Simply one of the best games ever on Gamecube"

Super Smash Bros. Melee is simply one of the best games I ever played. This game is one of the reasons I bought a Gamecube. I can't deny it. I remember waiting for this game a long time and when I finally got it. I opened the game case. Played it. And I played Nonstop. This may not be a 100% fighting game, but it is great fun. This is a Gamecube must-have. This game is for any Gamecube owner out there. Even if is not your type of game, you'll like this game anyway.

The graphics are unbelievable. For one of the first games on Gamecube, it has one of the best graphics up on the Gamecube. Much improvement from the original. The graphics are excellent and very beautiful. Nothing in this game is dull looking. One of the best graphics I ever seen on the Gamecube. The intro in the game is impressive. The stages has some nice details. Even the menu looks 3D. Which is kinda neat. I suggest you go to camera mode and have a look see yourself. It makes you really wanna explore more. The backgrounds are okay, but not bad at least, and the Pokemon look splendid with their Stadium/Stadium 2 look, might not look the best, but they did a good job adding it. The characters look very nicely done. Fox has a different look now. His fur almost looks real. You can almost see through Samus's helmet. You can see the lines in Mario's Overalls. The best part about the character's look is, their face/look changes when they hit or hitten by other characters. Nice visuals and animation. And after all that, the game has no slowdown at all. It runs at a complete 60 framerate. I have to say, very impressive.

Sound/Audio: 10/10
First the sound. The characters sound really great. Most of the sound effects that the characters have are grunts from their own games. Some examples are: Yoshi's "yell" in Yoshi Story and Mario's fall cry in Super Mario 64 (Gotta love that). I like how they did the soundcasting. The pokemon sound a lot better than how they were in Super Smash Bros. the original game. Now for the music. Yes you guessed it. One of the best music I ever heard in ANY Game. Remixes of Nintendo tunes from the past and they really sound great! You can hear music from Mario to Zelda to Pokemon to Kirby. They bring so many good memories. They also have a sound test whenever you want to hear them. But you have to earn it first. This is also a great feature I enjoyed. They did a really good job making the music in this game.

This is where the game gets its glory and shines. This gameplay is magificent. You've got so many characters. All big and small, wide and thin. Mario, Link, Bowser, Pikachu, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey kong, Captain Falcon, Fox,Ness, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Samus, and Zelda. Thats not all! Their also secret characters which I won't spoil for you. But for one thing. This game has about all the Nintendo characters ever made including the secret characters and the Pokemon. They're 25 characters in all and all the characters are a lot more balanced now. No character sucks. And they're no clones either. Which is another big improvement. Super Smash Bros. had some clones which some fighters were similiar. But Super Smash Bros. Melee has some "same" fighters but aren't clones. They all fight differently. Every character has four special moves. They all have different smash attacks aswell. All the characters are unique. Which is a good thing. We don't want the same characters do we? This game will take a long time to master. It is very strategic also. Each character has their own fighting style, cons and prons. Some examples are: Fox is speedy and a great offensive attacks, but he can't jump high and can get knocked off more than other characters. Bowser on the other hand has great offensive power and is a tank! Hes hard to knock off, but he is pretty slow and can't jump high either. Choose the character that fits your fighting style. Good at dodging? Try a speedy character. Good at attacking? Try a offensive character. Good at defending? Try a tank character. No two characters in this game are the same. They are all different. This game is also very challenging. The computer isn't that hard. But if your playing for the first time or so, they can be tricky. Which makes it even more fun. There is so much you can do. Even if your alone. This game has one of the best replay ability I have seen. You have to do a lot of things to beat this game. You'll be playing for months. They have modes like free-for-all, team battles, and much more. You can customize the items, handicap, set it anyway you want it! You can have some little games, for example: A race around Hyrule Temple, since that place is built like some sort of race course. You can make as how many games as you like. It adds more replay value! There is so much you can do in this game. So many modes, options, battles, adventures, etc. You'll be very busy. Even the adventure is replayable for some. The adventure mode changed a little bit. They added a lot more levels. Your also facing random battles instead of the order they had in the original Super Smash Bros. You can compete for the highest score also. You can do the same in Homerun contest, break the targets, 100-Man Melee, and much more. They also added more modes such as Coin battles. The game even records the KOs, hits, damage tooken and given, falls, self-destructs, etc. They worked real hard on this game and it turned out to be excellent. It will keep you busy for a long time if you have friends to play with. Even if your alone. You'll still have fun. But you'll have even more fun if you had friends still.

Controls: 10/10
This game isn't a button mashing game. People seem to say that, but it really isn't. This game is about strategy, accuracy, and timing. Once you master all those, you'll be good in no time. The controls are so simple. Even a 7 year old could remember them. It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to master these controls. You can strengthen your attacks anytime you want with a push of the control stick. Do a special attack with a push of a button. And move around real easily. This game doesn't have those annoying combos like other fighting games had that makes them so frustrating. This game keeps the controls simple and fun. The controls won't break your controller either. Everything is well suited.

Story: N/A
Well, this game really doesn't have a story. But it wasn't designed for one, and you can still enjoy this game even without a story.

Replay Value: 10/10
This is why most people got this game. This is the best part of the game.One of the greatest games you could just replay over and over. This game can let you do more things than any other fighting game. Collect trophies which tells you the info about the trophy and learn about Nintendo's past. And I tell you. You can learn a whole lot from the trophies. They list from item's to nintendo characters to enemies. I myself enjoyed the trophy idea. Get secret characters. Which will take a while. But is worth it, you'll be suprised to see who they are ;). Train your fighting skills. Learn some combos from your best character and practice with him/her. Have a 64 person tournament and put them all hard and see if you can win. And a lot more! This game left me playing for at least a whole year and no other game I have played never done that. This game will leave you playing longer if you have friends, like I have mentioned earlier.

Buy Or rent?
Buy! Buy! Buy! This game is never to rent. You won't be satisfied if you rent it. Definitly buy this game. This game beats the pants on almost every Gamecube game ever made. This game is a must-have for any Gamecube owner, period. If you don't have this game when you have a Gamecube, you are a very sad Gamecube owner. So you better get it now. There is no reason not to buy this game.

Overall:10/10
Super Smash Bros. Melee is a great sequel of the original. It may not be a real fighting game, but it still rocks. I don't see how anyone could hate this game. It has everything. Nothing is bad about it. Theres 1750 words why this game is simply one of the best games ever.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/09/04