Review by RockVoulnutt

"Mario's brother Luigi takes the roll for the main character"

Most of you probably thought Gamecube was going to start off with a Mario game, but, his brother Luigi takes the lead roll.

The plot is pretty solid. It starts off when Luigi wins a mansion that he never signed up for. Pretty spooky if you ask me. He then tells Mario to meet him at his newly won mansion. When Luigi appears there, instead of a shiny bright new house, he sees a dark, gloomy, chipped down house. Mario isn't anywhere to be found! Luigi then finds a helpful doctor named Dr. E Gadd. He equips Luigi with a few items to help him rid the house the ghost, and to save his brother, Mario.

I gotta say, theese graphics are very good. It's nice and smooth but some stuff just looks like they pulled it out of the N64. The movement is very nice and most things are very detailed, especially the bosses.

The sound is very lifelike, from the footsteps to the wind, it all sounds good. The music can get boring and flat, but it's a good tune for a ghostbuster.

Control: 8/10
It took me a while to get used to the controller. It is a little hard at first to use the vacuum but you should get used to it after encounters with a few ghost.

Solving the puzzles and battling the ghost is very fun but it gets a little stale when you're half way through. The spooky ghost should keep you on your feet though, wich is a good thing. You'll spend time solving puzzles, sucking ghost with your vacuum, and beat the bosses. The game isn't very long but it's a lot of fun to make up for it.

I would suggest to give this game a try because it's a very worthwhile game. From the graphics to the control, it's very good and promising launch title for the new Nintendo GameCube.

Buy or rent?
You can beat the game most likely in about 3 days. All my friends rented this one but I bought it to fatten up my GCN game collection. Since it's a new game for a new system, I would really recomend to buy it, unless you need to save up for it, renting it would be very because you can complete the game pretty quick.

For people who just look at the score, and more accurate, here you go:
Graphics: 9.5
Sound: 9.3
Control: 8.3
Gameplay: 8.5
Overall: 9.3

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/19/01, Updated 11/19/01