Review by Bowsa

"Luigi + a ghost filled mansion + a vacuum cleaner = one great game!"

One of the GameCube's launch titles, Luigi's Mansion is the SECOND game starring Luigi. Note that I said second. His first one was Mario is Missing!, but we all know how awful that was. Luckily, Luigi's Mansion is much better than Mario is Missing!, and it's a game worth picking up.

Story: Luigi has won a mansion! The strange thing is, he didn't even enter a contest for it! He decides to invite Mario to his mansion so they can meet together. When he gets there, he can't find Mario, and when he enters the mansion, he finds it's full of ghosts! It looks like Luigi is done for when a strange scientist by the name of Professor E. Gadd helps him escape. The Professor tells Luigi that he lived near the mansion to study ghosts. Luigi tells him that Mario was missing, so the Professor decides to help Luigi out. He gives him a modified vacuum cleaner, The Poltergust 3000, and a ''Game Boy Horror'' to help Luigi find his brother. Luigi then sets off for the mansion, in search of Mario...

Visuals: This game looks pretty darn good. The mansion looks nice, and I appreciate the neat effects like lightning in the game. The furniture, though somewhat blocky, looks nice too. And who could forget Luigi? He looks rather good, as he is made up of a bunch of polygons. The often dark mansion adds to the atmosphere of the game.

Sound/Music: The sound effects fit this game perfectly. Every thing from Luigi's ''Maaarrriiiiioooooo!'' to a ghost wail is done well. The Poltergust 3000 also sounds pretty good.
The music is good, too. The main theme plays, for the most part, constantly throughout the game, but that's not a bad thing. There are several different versions of the theme, like a creepy, dark version to Luigi's cheerful whistling rendition. There are also some other themes, like a boss theme and some music that will be very familiar...I'm not telling, though.

Gameplay: Where should I begin? The main gameplay to the game is enter a room, find the ghosts, suck up the ghosts, get the key, enter a new room with the key, etc. There are some variations, such as the ghosts that were once paintings (these are character ghosts) and the occasional boss battle.
Those things are also joined by the many gems, cash, and coins scattered throughout the mansion, and the Boos inhabiting every major room. You use the Poltergust 3000 to get a room rid of ghosts. You will have to use elements to get rid of some of the tougher ghosts. Elements come in Fire, Water, and Ice variations.
You also have a good old flashlight, which scares ghosts so you can suck them up, and you also have a Game Boy Horror. A Game Boy Horror has many uses. First off, you can check a map of the mansion on it. Second, you can look around your surrounding for clues (you never know what you are going to find!). Third, it keeps track of any valuables and major ghosts you've found.
Of course, Luigi can get hurt by the ghosts, which lowers your health, represented by a heart. If you get hurt, you should make sure you find hearts. Don't worry about finding them too much, as they are found throughout the mansion. Just check for them around furniture and when you're vacuuming up ghosts.

Replayability: You aren't too likely to play this game again soon after you beat it. There's no multiplayer, no extra surprises in the game, nothing. There's only the extra, somewhat new mansion you can play through after you beat the game once, but that's about it. Still, I would think that you would want to play it every now and then.

Overall, Luigi's Mansion is a very polished game, and it makes a great title for anyone's GameCube. Sure, it's short, and replayability is pretty low, but it's still a game worth getting. At the least, I would recommend renting this game. I would get the game myself, though. It's worth every cent, and it's good to see Luigi out and about for once. Go and try it out!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/21/01, Updated 11/21/01