Review by LegendaryFrog

"The little tech demo that could."

Picking up my Indigo Nintendo Gamecube console was the happiest moment in my gaming life since Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I got a Rouge Leader, Luigi’s Mansion, and a memory card the day before, so I was ready to start Cubin`! Unfortunately, I knew there would be no Mario from the get go, and that just loses something.

GRAPHICS 9/10

First off, Gamecube is my first next generation machine, and my computer can’t do 3D worth a crap, so Luigi took my breath away. There are plenty of cool effects, like the ghost, to make you say “Woah!” The game looks good and that’s about it. Never bad and never great. The atmosphere is wonderful, but it’s hard to look at a bathroom like you do Hyrule Field. Sorry.

One thing I did noticed is the textures get well...weird... close to the camera sometimes. Hard to explain, but it’s kind of like the blocky backgrounds in the movies in Starcraft. I hope this isn’t a next generation for Gamecube problem...it’s annoying to me.

GAMEPLAY and DESIGN 7/10

Luigi’s man problem, if you want to call it a problem, is that it’s not a platformer. Is that a bad thing? Not at all. A Nintendo launch without a platformer is like Shaft without the catchy theme song.

Luigi explores the haunted mansion and sucks up ghost in his vacuum. That’s it. It’s a good think Nintendo knows how to make fun games because it had the potential of getting real old real fast. The countless number of rooms, ghost designs, and Boo hunting keeps the gamer entertain the short time the game lasts.

Luigi is controlled by the control stick while his vacuum and flashlight is controlled by the C-stick. (The C stick is a god like stick. Everybody hail the C stick!) The R button acctivates the vacuum and the R button expels elements. This all works very well.

To catch a ghost, you have to stun it with your flashlight and suck it up while trying to maintain control. You then get a key then go to the next room. The actions might get repetitive to some, but the games ends right when the player is getting board with ghostbusting.

SOUND 7/10

Luigi’s Mansion pulls a Yoshi’s Story and arranges the same music for the games soundtrack. In fact, it’s rather limited with only about 5 different tunes. The melody is very appropriate, and sounds like it should be features in a game with ghosts. Effects are great, and Luigi humming the theme is very cool.

STORY 7/10

Luigi won a mansion! Horray! Mario goes before hand to check it out his ends up missing. When Luigi arrives the finds out his house is haunted, What’s a little brother to do?

Okay, it’s not great, but it’s all you need for a game like this. There’s even a little surprise ending...kinda.

REPLAY VALUE 5/10

There is little to do once you complete the game. It’s a shame to...

GRIPES

It is short, but ends right when you’re getting tired of the same thing over and over. It can get repetitive, but it holds you attention. Very weird.

OVERALL 7/10

Luigi is not a great flagship title for the Gamecube, but it is still a wonderful, abet short, game. I think Tendob...erm....Cloudchaser Ninteno...errr...XenGamers, said it best when they said “If Luigi wasn’t a launch title, the it would be better received.” I couldn’t agree more. Luigi was well received, but dreams of Mario Sunshine still singers in the minds of every Nintendo fan.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/25/01, Updated 11/09/02