"Resident Luigi"

Ever since the day it was announced, Luigi's Mansion was the one game I anticipated the most. And for all the right reasons. Luigi's Mansion isn't perfect, mind you, but it's definitely worth your time.

The plot goes like this: One day, Luigi got a letter in the mail, claiming he had won a fabulous prize. A giant mansion! Understandably, Luigi was excited, and phoned up his older brother Mario to meet him at the mansion. Unfortunately, Luigi got lost on the way there, and didn't arrive until late night. What's more, Mario wasn't anywhere to be seen, and the house was filled with ghosts. With the help of professor Elvin Gadd and his Poltergust 3000, Luigi has to face his fear of ghosts and find his missing brother.

Sure, it's been done, but the plot is one of the best parts of the game. Luigi finally gets a chance to prove himself, and rescue his brother Mario.

Plot: 10

The controls can be confusing for the first half of the game, but after a bit of practice, you'll be catching ghosts like a pro. The button layout of the GameCube controller fits Luigi's Mansions controls very well. And just for kicks, they even added a feature that you can yell out for Mario. Marvellous.

Control: 9

Nintendo ripped out a page of the Konami handbook with graphics. Add some fog and darkness to lower the polygon count. Sure, it's a cheap trick, but it works. And whatever images you do see, are absolutely beautiful. There isn't any slowdown, and they even took the time to add little quirks that add up. Pulling on sheets with the vacuum, dust particles in the light of the flashlight, lightning flashes, Luigi breathing out cold air whenever ghosts are around (ala The Sixth Sense), and many other things. The transparency effects on the ghosts are fantastic, but it still doesn't use up the GameCube potential. I know it can do alot better, but these graphics are still excellent.

Graphics: 8.5

The game certainly excels on the sound department. Wind creaking against the house, ghosts moving things around when you can't see them, the vacuum, just about everything in the game has a unique sound to it.

Sound: 10

Now I can't spoil anything for you, but this ending is the most touching, magnificent piece of art I have ever seen. It literally brought a tear to my eye watching the ending to this game. It'll take a strong, strong person to watch this ending without a sense of accomplishment, let alone being like me and jumping out of your chair, with your hand against your forehead, screaming ''Luigi, you brave soul! I salute you!''

Ending: 10

Pros: Graphics, Sound, Plot
Cons: Not that difficult, Almost no replay
Priceless: The look on passerby faces as you cry at the ending

Overall Score (Not an Average): 9

Enjoy this game, I know I sure did.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 11/28/01, Updated 11/28/01