Review by George

"Enjoyable (but a very critical review)"

It's hard to describe a game like this. You play it, look at the incredibly detailed graphics, enjoy it quite a bit. It's like a game you are thrilled to play -- until you realize that, like so many other games that seemed flawless when they were first released -- there are aspects that can make even the most patient player want to have themselves committed.

First, like many others have said, Luigi's Mansion is very detailed but in terms of actual time required to complete it, it's not long. The concept is clever and, unlike what others have said, doesn't get really repetetive.

By the way, for those of you who know that there is a substantial reward for going out of your way to catch all 50 ghosts, be warned. The huge diamond which you get for doing the task -- it's worth twenty million -- well, let's just say you'd be wise to save immediately after getting it.
If you get a game over before saving, the diamond is gone. And there is no way to get it back. (Believe me I've tried...)

Am I the only one who has been flustered by the Area 3 boss (the huge Boo)? If you think that catching the last handful of ghosts is difficult, try it on the Hidden Mansion mode where you take double damage. And this is a game whose difficulty level is geared for kids? Maybe, but there may well be a lot of kids who will be quite annoyed by the same boss.

By the way, in case you've tried playing the Hidden Mansion mode, you know that there's not a whole lot new. You take double damage, the ghosts are harder to get, your vacuum is stronger, and some of the ghosts (and other things) have been moved around. Not exactly a thrill ride, is it? Much less a reward for completing the game.
As for completing the game, yes -- you do get another nice taste of what the Cube's graphics can do -- hope you don't mind a 3-minute (or probably less) ending.
With a game that supposedly has a gigabyte and a half (a million and a half megabytes), you'd think the voices would be more dominant.

Anyway, I am hoping here that I don't get a flood of irate letters from people who are peeved that the review was so critical. Sure, the game is great and the technology is really getting more and more advanced. But you have to wonder, what DOES go through the minds of programmers, story-writers, playtesters, et cetera, when there is so much in a game to make you want to pull your hair?

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 11/28/01, Updated 11/28/01