Review by Greduan

"Good ideas, bad game"

Starfox Adventures is the first (and only game besides the Smash Bros. series) in which Fox leaves his fighter and uses a magical staff with unknown powers to fight his new enemy, reptiles.

I think it's the only game in which Fox McCloud doesn't even use his gun because of the security of the town (in which this case is dinosaur tribes), I really missed the gun action.

Gameplay 5/10
You could say that the worst part of the game is it's gameplay, you might get really bored while playing this game, you might have occasional breaks to get your strength together to be able to play this game, you might have difficulties with some bosses and puzzles but even the newer Zelda games have more puzzles, are longer, and have decent bosses, just by telling you that what I believe to be the strongest boss, follows the same pattern all the time and once you learn it, it becomes pretty easy, besides the final boss of course.

Story 6/10
The story is really disappointing. The story is about the Dinosaur planet's peace that has been shattered by a army of evil reptiles (I believe maybe dinosaurs) at the far edge of the Lylat system, and team Fox is summoned to help that planet because the planet is shattering apart in pieces. That's the short version, I don't have a long version because it would tell you what the whole game is about. You really want to see the next part in the story but once you get to it you might disappoint yourself after all that work, it's not that good of a story, though it's decent.

Graphics 9/10
I guess the graphics are the best point of this game, the cutscenes are really beautiful, the fur is great, the outer world is beautiful and overall the graphics are among the best you'll find on the Gamecube. You might get remembered the map ambient from one level with another but maybe not. Overall the graphics are good enough.

Sound 7/10
The sound is decent, it has a lot of sound effects like when you crouch through holes or when you hit an enemy with your staff the sound effects apply correctly, even when you walk you can hear your footsteps, it's not like the sound overwhelms you or it's so bad that you don't even listen to it, the sound will probably never be a problem for you. You might sometimes want to listen to your own music but almost never. The voice acting is in almost any character dialog in a cutscene, it's not very good but it's not superb either, it can be a little overwhelming with time, luckily you have your own music, right?.

Replayability 5/10
You might never finish this game completely, and even if you do I don't think you're up for it again, if it's boring the first time, it's worse the second, believe me I just started that game played halfway through the first level and got really bored.

Buy or Rent?
Rent you can finish it renting it, if you like it (which I highly doubt) consider buying it.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/09/11, Updated 01/30/12

Game Release: Star Fox Adventures (US, 09/23/02)