Review by antHraxz

"RARE's last GameCube game is an epic to remember."

Ever since I can remember, RARE has been by Nintendo's side through thick and thin coming out with classic games like Killer Instinct and Donkey Kong Country series. Then RARE, some might say, single handedly saved the N64 from failure with its line-up of great games like the Banjo-Kazooie series, DK64, Blast Corps, and, most recently, Conker's Bad Fur Day. As I'm sure now, every Nintendo fan knows that RARE has been bought by Microsoft and will no longer make games for the GameCube. Sad indeed, but RARE is leaving with a bang. Star Fox Adventures is their last and only GameCube entry and it's a good one at that.

Graphics 9/10

Let me just say that Star Fox Adventures is a beautiful game! The amount of detail in the game is enormous. You can even see Fox' fur blowing in the wind. This game will make you wish that RARE had stayed, and it also makes you wonder what they can do on the stronger hardware of the XBox. The animation is nice. When you fight enemies the fighting animations are all different. Overall gorgeous game. The only problem is that I've noticed some framerate drop here and there. Also, keep in mind that this game is Progressive Scan compatible. People able to use the feature is in for even more eye candy.

Sound 9/10

Again, RARE is one of the best when it comes to the sound department. The music is atmospheric and well composed. Only beef I have against the sound category is the voice acting. I'm just like the people at IGN. I think it is well done, don't get me wrong, but I just thought that it was too much. Some people will definitely like it, and some, like me, won't as much. Hearing dinosaurs speaking in a English accent semi-weird. Also the game supports Dolby Pro Logic II which is a welcomed addition.

Gameplay 9/10

This game is a Zelda rip. That is not a bad thing though. However I was disappointed with the fact that for a last game, RARE didn't come up with something original. The game is easy to play. Each command that a button does is shown on the screen like in Zelda. Fighting enemies in this game is fun and enjoyable. Fighting multiple targets is awesome. There is a targeting system that helps you choose which enemy you want to fight. There is also another character that is with Fox for most of his adventure. You can control him with the C-Stick.

Features

-Fox McCloud's first official GameCube entry
-Fight using a shape shifting staff
-Beautiful game
-Wonderful sounds
-Fly Arwing
-Progressive Scan support
-16x9 Wide screen support
-Dolby Pro Logic II support
-RARE's last game on a Nintendo home console for a while (hopefully not forever)

Replay Value and Lasting Appeal 8/10

Like all adventures, this game will end. Before the end, however, this game is long. Longer than Super Mario Sunshine. Casual gamers can get at least 30 hours out of his one. Once you've beaten it, you can go back for some secrets, but the length of the game may turn most off. Get it, and get it now!

For anyone whose ever wondered how it would feel for Fox to step out of the Arwing, this game is for you. For anyone who likes Zelda, this game is for you. For anyone who likes talking dinosaurs, this game is for you. For anyone who will, and forever, love RARE, this game is for you.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/24/02, Updated 09/24/02

Would you recommend this Review? Yes No
Commenting is anonymous and not required to vote.