"Rare's last hurrah for Nintendo!"

What is the only and last Rareware game for the Nintendo Game Cube is also one of the best. Taking the Star Fox franchise out of the cockpit for the first time (if you don't count Super Smash Bros.) could have been a daunting task but Rare pulled it off with style!

Graphics: 10.0 / 10.0
Amazing, simply amazing. What could be called the best Game Cube graphics, yes even better than Resident Evil (well, not really but on par with Resident Evil!). The environments are simply breathtaking, brimming with detail (You never once could tell this started as a Nintendo 64 game). The Dinosaur Planet has rushing streams (which I have to say the water is better looking than Super Mario Sunshine's!), violent volcanoes, frozen wastelands and beautiful plant life. It is simply amazing the detail Rare crammed into this three inch disc. Characters look just as great, with the dinosaurs having leathery skin and Fox and Krystal with the most realistic fur I have ever seen in a game. A testament to Rare's greatness (it even makes me consider buying an X-Box to see what Rare can do with that!)!

Sound: 8.5 / 10.0
Classic Star Fox tunes mixed with classic Rare for a great and easy to listen to sound track. The backgrounds also are brought to life with the sound. Now to the bad part of sound that keeps it from a 10.0, voice acting. Fox is the only person that doesn't make me want to listen to Britney Spears instead of hearing them talk. He has that cocky, rebel yet heroic voice you would expect from Fox. Now to the other voices, first off Prince Tricky (who thinks of these crappy names?), his voice is so annoying and too hard to describe, Slippy sounds like a three year old, Peppy sounds like a constipated old man, General Pepper sounds like he has a rod up his butt, Krystal sounds like a hormonal French girl, and General Scales' dino talk is so stupid because he throws in English words with it. Voice acting is a blemish on an otherwise excellent package.

Control: 9.0 / 10.0
I can see your Zelda showing. This game controls almost exactly like a Zelda 64 game. The only thing I'm really going to mention is combat. Fox automatically locks on to the first hostile target he sees when he has his staff drawn, this is an advantage and disadvantage. The advantage is you focus on one enemy at a time and the others leave you alone (accept for those #@$!%$%#$%@!# birds!), the disadvantage is a lot of the time as soon as you lock on to the enemy he will take a shot before you can react (really frustrating!). If it wasn't for the cheap shots, this score would easily garner a 10.0!

Life Span: 9.0 / 10.0
This game will take about 20-25 hours to beat and that is it. No extras hinders this score from a 10.0, I mean no extras (and I have searched everywhere!). Also the only reason it gets a 9.0 is you probably won't be able to beat it as a rental if you have a schedule like mine. I'm very disappointed in Rare for not adding any extras.

Overall: 9.0 / 10.0
This is a excellent game and should be a part of any Game Cube collection. It is fun and you will probably want to play it again. A lot of money is resting on this job!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 10/05/02, Updated 10/05/02