Review by DarkMark42

"Slightly under average game"

Super Monkey Ball was first released on the Nintendo Gamecube back in Novemeber right around when the GCN first came to the market. It was the first installment in the Super Monkey Ball series and was developed by Sega, who before withdrawling their final system(the Dreamcast) from the market was Nintendo's long-time rival. But they quickly became a third-party supporter for Nintendo during the sixth generation of video games. Anyway, this game is okay as a start, but its sequel(Super Monkey Ball 2) is a lot better. Nonetheless, it wouldn't hurt to try this one out too maybe as a weekend rental.

Graphics- 9/10
No complaints here. Even back when the system first was released, Sega produced some very good looking visuals for the game. Everything looks just as a 128-bit system game should. The backgrounds look great as does the level design. Very nice.

Sound- 8/10
The game's music sounds okay, I mean there's nothing wrong with it. The game's music during the levels sounds like your average toon. While it could sound catchier, I think the music and sound effects sounds pretty decent for the game.

Story-???
What story? This game doesn't have one. Yeah, the series starts off story-less. Its sequel has a plot, but this one doesn't. You just play the levels and game modes and that's all. Pretty simple, isn't it?

Gameplay- 7/10
The game plays ok. You, as one of four monkeys(Aiai, Meemee, Gongon, and Baby. I know, weird, but they are monkeys) play through various levels. There are three difficulties- beginner, advanced, and expert that all determine the difficulty of the stage. The object of the levels is pretty simple. All you have to do is make it through the level to the goal checkpoint and pass through it. Throughout the level, there are several obstacles to them, all of which try to throw you off the stage. You can collect bananas to up your score(well they are monkeys). There is also a time limit for how long you can stay on the level before you lose a life.

There's another mode too. You have your second hand party games, all that play as fun mini-games. There's Monkey Race, Monkey Fight, Monkey Target, Monkey Billiards, Monkey Bowling, and Monkey Golf. All of which involve monkeys playing various sports and games of course. You can gain play points to unlock the last three, and also for gaining continues. Try to see how many play points you can get.

But the game is small, limited, and gets boring after a while. So while a decent start to the series, it is simply a below average game.

Replay value- 5/10
Meh, the game will probably start to make you lose intrest after a little while. You can keep trying to complete the two harder modes, and get as many play points as you can, you'll just be bored doing so. So that's why replay value isn't that high. That and you'll probably want to play it's sequel shortly after playing this one for a few days.

Overall-6/10
I wish I could give this game a better score, but I can't. Since it's cheap nowadays, it won't be a total waste to try it out. You won't totally hate it.

Final Score- 6.3

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 03/29/10

Game Release: Super Monkey Ball (US, 11/17/01)