Review by radiocomet

"Simple, yet fun gameplay coupled with mega variety and replay value make the the best party game ever!"

Now if your one of those people who don’t like “kiddy games” because they have “cute little fluffy puffy characters that go ‘wooohoohooo’” or because you can’t “shoot somethin’ with a bazooka” in them and you refuse to try and have fun in any way whilst you yell out, “This game is Stoopid”… Then don’t read this and go play your Playstation 2 unless you want to have fun. This game focuses on “fun” and besides, “where else can you play as a monkey in a plastic ball”!
I was one of the people who camped out at “Toys R Us” in order to be absolutely sure about getting a Gamecube. I picked this up along with Rouge Leader and I have to say it surprised me.
I got this because I wanted a multiplayer game along with a good single player game, but I didn’t expect that I would like it that much. I got this mainly because I heard it was very simple and a good party game. My relatives that like to play video games with me (but aren’t that good) like simple games and my brothers wanted it a lot so I decided it would be worth it. My uncle (who plays with me the most), who grew up with the Atari, still thinks that all you need for a good video game is a joystick and a button, and that is exactly what this is, ladies and gentlemen, a one-joystick… one-button game.
Now don’t immediately stop reading this because you think that one joystick and one button is way to simple and will only entertain you for a minute (in fact, most of the time you only use the joystick), because you will be missing out on the party game of your life if you do.
What the developers did here was they took a simple concept reminiscent of the classic game “marble madness” or the toy “labyrinth” and gave you a simple but incredibly addictive game that has enough different games and options to make your head spin. There are so many little things about this game that overflow with “replay value” that you will still be playing this years from now. What you do (main game) is control a movable landscape and move it around in order to guide your monkey to the course goal. This may seam like it would be hard to control but it really isn’t. It controls so well you feel like you are controlling the monkey ball instead of the level. This is also very fun to do. The levels are very well designed and a blast to try out. You will constantly be motivated to finish the current level just to see the next one.
All of the (many) multiplayer games are very well done and are very fun to play, couple that with an outstanding one player game along with tons of cool “unlockables” such as secret extra levels and more multiplayer games that ooze with quality and you’ve got the best multiplayer Gamecube game out.
At parties, this game rocks! Every aspect of this game is multiplayer… even the main one player mode can be played by up to four people at once! Anyone can play it and have fun. If you know a lot of people who like to play video games… this game is a must buy, but even if you live alone on some deserted mountain and haven’t spoken to another human in years… you will still have a great time with this game.
There are so many other things I could rave on about, but all they amount to is that this is one great party game.

Individual scores (5 is average):

Graphics (compared to other Gamecube games): The games weakest point. They are nothing special and after playing rouge leader, this game looks like it could have been the last great Nintendo 64 game. The graphics aren’t terrible or a pain to look at, but they are nothing special either. The only thing that caught my eye was the water effects in “monkey target”. However, they still do the job and graphics aren’t as important in this type of game like they are in fighting and shooting games. They are just average. 5/10

Music/Sound: They do the game justice. The “techno” music that plays in the background is pretty good and the sound effects are well done. 7/10

Control: Excellent. Everything controls perfectly with that little joystick and “A” button. If you fall of a level, it’s your fault, not the game’s. 10/10

Fun factor: This game is one of the most fun games I’ve ever played. Everything about it is very enjoyable and addicting. All of the play mini games and stuff are a blast and will keep you and your friends busy for hours. 10/10

Replay: Are you kidding? Do you still play any of the games from your N64 with your friends like “Mario kart” or “Super Smash Brothers” (my multiplayer game, ever)? In 5 years, you’ll still have a grand ol’ time playing this… trust me. 10/10

Challenge: I rate this based on how the game implements challenge. For example… If a game starts out way to difficult and only gets harder, I will give it a lower score. Or if the whole game could be beaten by a five year old (does Kirby come to mind?), it will get points deducted also. This game does neither. It starts out very easy, and gradually becomes insanely hard. It will take you quite a while to unlock every extra level; so don’t plan on rushing through this baby like you will, Luigi’s mansion.

Overall: This game is the best party game out there and will also give you a great and fun one-player challenge. There is nothing that hurts the game… The graphics and sound could be better, but they do the job well and are no reason not to buy the game. 9/10

Final word: Go buy it!