Review by NdsGuru

"My best holiday ever."

Who here remembers the feeling you got every time you discovered something cool in Super Mario 64? Those charming little touches like Mario mumbling about pasta if you leave him to go to sleep, or how punching clusters of butterflies would sometimes result in a 1-up. Personally speaking, it was these sorts of things that kept me within a metre radius of my controller for the entire fortnight that the game took to complete, and I'm pleased to say that if you identified with any of the above mentioned, Super Mario Sunshine will have you smiling for a long time to come.

The game is designed in such a way that you can learn at your own pace. Beginner players can take their time, while expert players will meet their own respective challenges. Knowing that I am somewhat of an expert when it comes to the Mario series of games, I thought I would breeze right through this game. Boy was I wrong. Not only did I get killed many times, but I was thrashed so hard I sometimes had to take a breather. What a great feeling. On the other side, with the beginners, they have the liberty to fool around in the games main hub area, and bounce around without a care in the world. This is truly the definition of universal appeal.

What can I say? The graphics, music and basic gameplay all are fantastic (can't get enough of that water!), and are pretty much what you've come to expect from Nintendo. Its really the little details that make this game so special. The birds flying around Isle Delfino, the underground pipe systems, the brilliant remix of the classic Mario tune (now more hum-able than ever) and countless other details. I remember Miyamoto saying that with SMS he really wanted to create a "living, breathing world", and over the course of the game it really struck me just how well this ambition was realised. I can't put my finger on it, but there is just a vibrancy that makes it come to life. Overall, this feeling is largely responsible for the buzz of happiness that encompasses me every time I switch the game on.

I feel necessary to point out that if you're expecting to be blown away like you were the first time you played Super Mario 64, you WILL be disappointed. It seems that people were expecting Nintendo to pull another dimension from somewhere, which even the dimmest of us will admit to be somewhat unrealistic. The way to look at Super Mario Ssunshine is as an incredible elevation of the game you love, an expansion on everything that made it great. This is by far the best game available on the Gamecube thus far.

Rent or Buy ?

BUY! It is $20 bucks now and It is a serious must play!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/17/07

Game Release: Super Mario Sunshine (Player's Choice) (EU, 10/10/03)