Review by DarkMark42

"I was wrong about this game."

When I bought this game back in summer of 2004, I liked it at first, but it slowly got hard and frustrating, and eventually, I stopped playing it. I thought it was nothing like a Mario game. Around a year ago, I read through some FAQS, and I slowly and gradually got good at it. Soon enough, I was able to beat the game, and I think it is a very good game now.

Story-8/10

The story is a bit different than ordinary Mario while still maintaining the usual Mario story. Mario, Princess Peach, Toadsworth, and all the toads are going on vacation. While on the Airplane, they see a lovely commercial, and decide to go there. Once they arrive, the island, called Isle Delfino, is flooded with graffiti, and people are blaming Mario, based on eye witnesses. Princess Peach swears that she sees this blue shadow Mario, and after a day in jail, they make Mario try to clean up the entire island with his new machine(later on in the review). Soon enough, Mario finds the maniac who is impersonating him. Oh, and Princess Peach gets kidnapped! Bet you didn't see that coming! Or maybe you did...

Music/Sound Effects-9/10

Music is good, but a bit different than the classic Mario music. You hear some music based on the earlier games(including Super Mario Bros. in 3-D!), but the majority of the soundtrack in tropical themed. Well hey, Mario is on an island, of course the music will be tropical themed!

Graphics-9/10

Coming out in 2002 for the Nintendo Gamecube, the graphics are fairly good. The scenery from the levels are nice, and the water looks good. Great graphics for it's time, still good.

Gameplay-10/10

Obviously the most important and intresting part of the game. Mario has a new water pack called the FLUUD, and using it's water capabilities, he has to clean up the island. People complain that all the levels are tropical themed unlike the usual varied Mario levels, but duh! Mario is on an island, how can the levels be anything other than tropical themed?! The levels still play as the usual Mario game. You need to find the 120 Shine Sprites, the equivelent to Super Mario 64's Power Stars. Half are for blue coins, but it's not so bad. The game is definitely harder than Super Mario 64, especially the underground levels without FLUUD. People say this isn't a true sequel to Super Mario 64. I beg to differ.

Replay Value-8/10

Lots of Shine Sprites, different files, fun levels, blue coins, good replay value.

Fun Factor-9/10

The levels are very fun.

Overall-10/10

Top 5 Nintendo Gamecube game.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 07/15/08, Updated 07/26/11

Game Release: Super Mario Sunshine (US, 08/25/02)