Review by MarioMan127

"Super Mario Sunshine? More like Super Mario FUNshine!"

Introduction: Super Mario Sunshine is the second 3D Mario game. It didn't change the way we look at gaming like Mario 64 did, but it's certainly the better game and brings us fun platforming and neat innovation.

Gameplay: As you should know, Mario has a Water Pack called F.L.U.D.D. which allows him to hover in the air for a short time, spray enemies, clean goop, etc. You can also use it to Rocket your way high in the sky While the idea seems quite random, it adds new platforming mechanics and fun gimmicks. The overall scope of the game is HUGE. There are 7 areas, all "Island" themed. There's also "block" levels, levels where they take away F.L.U.D.D. and you just go through some fun 3D platforming. Yoshi makes a satisfying return and although underused - it's fun to finally be able to hop on Yoshi in 3D for the first time. Mario has a ton of abilities that he can do with F.L.U.D.D. and it's fun to experiment with it. The game is packed with variety and innovation, with cool little references to it's predeccessor. There's only one problem I have with the Gameplay....Blue Coins. Grab 10 of 'em to get a Star (a.k.a Shine Sprite). I don't mind the way they work, but the way you get them is what annoys me.

You'll literally find points where you have to SPRAY THE FLOOR (and lots of other things) to get Blue Coins, (and this literally takes way more of half of the majority of Blue Coins). The worst part about it is that there's 240 of them, making 24 Shine Sprites out o' Blue Coins. Blue Coins completely ruined Sunshine for me, and this would be my favorite Mario game if it wasn't for them. -1 for that. Next time Nintendo, spend more time on the game instead of adding boring filler to throw the game out on shelves in time.

Story: Let me sum this up quickly: Mario goes on vacation, there's an evil version of him running around on the resort he's going to. He gets confused with the evil version of himself and gets thrown in Jail. Mario has to find Shine Sprites to save Delfino Isle. A water pack named F.L.U.D.D. helps him. There's more, but talking about Story in a Mario game is quite pointless.

Graphics/Sound: Awesome music, and graphics are fantasticly updated from Mario 64

Final Recommendation: Sunshine is the best game of the N64/Gamecube era. It offers huge and beatiful environments never before seen in a Mario game. Fun platforming of course, neat variety, fun secrets, throwbacks to past Mario games, and tons of innovation to the Mario series.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/19/10

Game Release: Super Mario Sunshine (US, 08/25/02)