Review by raven14

"A very entertaining game starring America's favorite, and most disfunctional, family."

I'm sure everyone knows The Simpsons as the hit TV show that has since become one of (if not the) longest running cartoons of all time. The Simpsons have a pretty bad reputation for making awful video games, but let's see how this game did.

This game's story is a little weak, but it doesn't ruin the enjoyment of the game at all. The main story is about all the residents of Springfield trying to buy back the transit system from ''joyless plutocrat'' C. Montgomery Burns. It seems their way to earn the $1 million necessary to buy back the transit system is to be chauffers for hire, and make enough money off the tips to eventually raise $1 million. The only thing wrong with this story is that it often leaves you wondering exactly why Burns wanted the transit system so badly or why nobody complains about all the chaos that is wrought in Springfield during one of the runs (I'll talk about that later. There are also 10 ''missions'', where you play as a certain character in a certain scenario. These aren't very story-heavy either; there isn't even enough material to make an episode of the show in them.

The graphics are cel-shaded, but in a good way. The graphics of this game don't look as cheap as the graphics of some other cel-shaded games. Sometimes it looks worse than the TV show, but it has some good points to.
A lot of sparks will fly throughout most of this game. You'll be crashing into stuff, including other cars and buildings, quite a bit. These sparks all look really nice and fly out about the right amount and timing. The backgrounds and people look good (not great, just good), but they have a really distinct cartoon look to them which makes you really believe you're watching the show. However, despite all the times your car will get banged up, there are never any evident dents. You'll make plenty in other cars, believe me, but your car always ends the round with absolutely no outward damage whatsoever.

Gameplay/Controls: 10/10
''Road Rage'' has a simple yet fun gameplay system. You drive around a certain area of Springfield as one of the many lovable characters of the Simpsons (you can only start out with Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Grampa Simpson, but you'll quickly unlock more . . . more on that later.) picking up passengers and driving them to their destination before time runs out. The faster you get them there the bigger the tip. This system is simple to grasp and fun to improve upon. However, it's not without it's challenges. The longer you survive in a round, the less time you get to deliver your passengers. Also, nuclear buses, as well as Mr. Burns's limo, will do everything they can to try and hinder your progress, and they usually do a very good job at it.
When you accumulate a certain amount of money, you get to choose whether you want to unlock a hidden level, or a hidden character. The characters are all complete with their own funny phrases and various stats (you have to play as them to figure those out for yourself), some WAY better than others.
Another thing I love about this game is the freedom that it gives you to do anything you want. You can get into car crashes, run people over, disobey traffic laws, go over the speed limit, etc. There are also lots of modes to play, including Mission Mode and a Head to Head (2 player) mode that is bound to give you and a friend a great time.
The controls are so simple. You can actually play this game with just the control stick and the c-stick. Most functions have two buttons that they are assigned to, so you can easily set that up to your own preference.

Music/Sound: 9/10
The music is very non-Simpsony. Most of it is stuff you would never hear in the show. But for what it is, it's not bad, and you get to choose which tracks you want to hear while you are playing.
Sound effects are hilarious but the hitting people(which, by the way, is one of the funnest things to do in all of video game history) sound effect is sometimes too quiet . Crashing cars sound great, and the sound effects that you hear when you drop off a passenger (it's different depending on how fast you got them there) are great.
As for the voice acting, it is hilarious. They got all the people who do the voices on The Simpsons to do the voices for the video game counterparts, and they sound just as good in the game as they do in the show.

Replay Value: 8/10
I would've given this a higher score, but there aren't really any secrets to unlock in this game. It's just fun to play over and over again, whether you're alone or you've got a buddy around.

Creativity: 10/10
The only subcategory that I'll talk about is dialogue. Take some of the funniest lines from the TV show and put them into the game. Take some other funny lines you think certain characters from the game would say, and put it into the game. The dialogue is hilarious, probably funnier than any other game I have ever played. It is laugh out loud funny, especially if you have the taste of a die-hard Simpsons fan (like me).

Though the Simpsons have been the stars of many a video game, this is only the second one I have played that I really enjoyed (the arcade version being the other one). I highly reccomend this game to any Simpsons fan, especially one who has wished for so long that they would be in a good game.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 06/24/03, Updated 06/24/03