Review by Megaman1981

"Nemesis makes Mr. X look like a complete wuss."

The Resident Evil series was created to scare gamers. The first game did that quite successfully. However, I think that with the second game the producers strayed away from the scary part, and simply went for hardcore action. To be honest, I think that both ways work. With Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, it combines the horror of Resident Evil, with the action of Resident Evil 2.

The gameplay is pretty simple. The object is to survive. However, this time around, there is plenty of ammo to go around, so being conservative with your ammo is not really necessary. In fact, much like Resident Evil 4, you can basically blast anything that moves. The controls are your basic Resident Evil setup. The common tank like controls are back. Still anyone who has played any previous Resident Evil games knows how to deal with the control setup. The game is pretty easy, until you meet Nemesis.

Oh yeah, him. Well the story is about Jill Valentine. She is trapped in Raccoon City, and decides to flee. However she is soon attacked by a seemingly unstoppable monster called Nemesis. This creature is determined to kill Jill, and will even run threw rooms in order to catch you. Nemesis is the only reason this game can be hard. In fact, when you see him simply run away. When you are finally forced to fight him, be prepared for a rough fight. It's worth noting that the first part of the game takes place one day before the events of Resident Evil 2, while the second part takes place one day after the events of Resident Evil 2.

The graphics aren't anything to ride home about. They are much like Resident Evil 2. In fact, you will revisit some old locations in the police department. The graphics are also slightly sharper now that they are on the Gamecube, but it isn't very noticeable. The graphics are decent, enough said. As for the sound, the creepy enemy sounds and haunting music is back, so be prepared to be scared again. I still think that the graphics and the zombie animations are actually a step backward from Resident Evil 2.

This game is just busting with replay value. There is a hidden mercenary game after you beat the game. In this game you can unlock special weapons such as a rifle, gatling gun, and a rocket launcher. Also there are eight epilogue files to unlock, so there is lots of replay value. These eight files all talk about what happened to the characters from Resident Evil 1 and 2.

I would say that this game is a must buy. Anyone who likes Resident Evil 2 will like this one too. Besides, it is being ported to several platforms, so it is popular. I must say that the $40 price tag is pretty steep, especially since Resident Evil 3 is only a port. Still, I bought it because I never played Resident Evil 3 before. So in my eyes it was worth the purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 02/25/05, Updated 01/02/07