Review by tooboredtothink

"A MUST buy for your Gamecube library!"

First off. What makes a good game? Graphics? Story Line? Sound? Well, basically it really does not matter. The thing that makes a good game is the fact that you are able to play it non-stop for the longest time without getting bored, and also being to play it again once you beat it. Resident Evil 4 is one of those games you know you want to play everyday. When you are at school or at work, you will have the urge to pick up your Gamecube controller and play the game, so you can get as far as possible on the game. Careful though! You DON'T want to play Resident Evil 4 all night.... or else...

History:
Great plot, and it is so interesting it will make you want to play the prequels of the game if you have not played them yet. The story of the game is based on a secret cult that has kidnapped the president's daughter of the United States of America. You are a special agent under the direct orders of the president to got and rescue his daughter. As you play through the game, the story introduces previously seen characters from past Resident Evils, as well as new ones.

Gameplay:
This is a third person shooter, so if you are a FPS, you might find it a bit difficult to get used to the controls. You hold the R button to aim, and shoot with the A button. There are many weapons such as a handgun, shotgun, rifle (more like a sniper), machine gun, and many others. You can upgrade your weapons as you progress in the game. You can't carry everything as you are limited to how much your suite case can hold, but just like the weapons, you can also buy bigger suite cases to fit more weaponry, ammo, and health recovery items.

Controls:
Not much to say here. The controls are responsive and never fail. You will have to be good at your reflexes though... and you will need to be good at tapping buttons as fast as you can whether it is to knife a giant, swim away from a sea monster, or run away from a rolling boulder ready to crush you...

Graphics:
I am not such a fan of good graphics, but I can tell you that the graphics in this game are outstanding. The characters also move like human beings, very well animation. There isn't much colour but who needs colour in a game like this? Great textures and special effects. There aren't many glitches in the game too. I could tell you that the graphics in this game are as good as Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, and after playing it, you will believe me.

Music/Sound:
The music is good. You will know when you are in danger when you hear the suspense music, and the safe zone music is so satisfying to hear, you will actually stop shaking for a while... until you get back to the game that is...

Sound effects are good in my opinion, nothing special. The gun sounds like a gun, shotgun sounds like a shotgun, everything is in place. The voice acting is also good in my opinion, very cinematic and it feels like you are watching a movie instead of playing a game.

Replay Value:
This is where I'm going to drop the ball. I really enjoyed playing the game, but the second time it isn't as satisfying as the first time, mainly because you already know what is going to happen. There are a few side quests and different difficulty levels after you beat the game thought to keep the game alive a little longer, but it just isn't the same. There are also mini-games you can play to collect various collectibles (sort of like the trophy system in Super Smash Bros Melee) but they are ok I guess.
7/10

Overall, this game is great. You will have a fun time playing it, and it is so long, this game had to be divided up into 2 discs. That is the reason why this game isn't perfect.

so my score out of 100 would be 98, round that up in 10s and it is 10/10

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 05/04/10

Game Release: Resident Evil 4 (Player's Choice) (US, 01/31/06)