Review by Van Ruyn

"Resident Evil 4 met and surpassed the all expectations I had."

Being a long time fan of the Resident Evil series, I had to pick this game up after hearing so much about it. And I must say, it's been a while since I've been this pleased with a new game that had a lot of hype. I've had so much fun playing this game. So, on to the review.

Graphics - 10/10
These graphics are just amazing. Very sharp and clear. Amazing lighting and animation. All the models for the characters (yes...including the animals) and monsters look amazing. The animation for speaking (lip sync) is almost perfect. There have been a few instances that it didn't match, but otherwise, it was amazing to see such a well dubbed game. Speaking of sound...

Sound - 10/10
Sounds effects are perfect. The guns, environments, voice, it's all perfect. The guns sound amazing. Thunder, fire, water sounds are a spot on match. The voice acting is really well done. Capcom has been doing pretty good in the last few Resident Evil games with the voice acting. Very well done. The music (from what I've been able to hear while shooting whatever moves) is nice as well. Doubt anyone can be disappointed with the sound in this game.

Controls - 9/10
Controls are very much like the previous Resident Evil games. There isn't much different here at all. They work really well. The reason this got a 9 instead of a 10 though is a strafe option would have been very nice. But that might have made the game a bit too easy. The game plays just fine without the strafe so that's always a plus.

Game play - 10/10
Here is possibly one of the biggest changes for this game from the previous Resident Evil games. The whole game takes above Leon's right shoulder. One of the most interesting (or at least what I found interesting) is the how you fight in this game. The "R" button gets your weapon ready and then you can aim and shoot. Very precise. Life isn't done by the "Fine - Caution - Danger - Dead" life line anymore. It's actually a bar you see on the screen around your ammo number. There are lots of new items and weapons. Almost all the monsters drop ammo, money, or some sort of useful item. The action is intense as well. Not to mention there is a merchant you can speak to and buy more items (such as guns or bigger storage cases). The storage cases are like Diablo's inventory (that is probably the best example I can think for it). Also, your weapons can now be upgraded in power, reload speed, ammo capacity, etc. Nice new feature added as well. There are also several events that happen through out the game. Such as pressing the "A" button as fast as possible to swim back to a boat or outrun a boulder. And other places you will be able to use the "A" button to do a simple event such as jumping out a window or kick an enemy away from Leon. This is a huge difference from the previous Resident Evil games but it is very well done.

Story - 10/10
The story here is Leon is sent on an assignment to rescue the President's daughter. However, things go a lot worse than expected and Leon is left in a pretty pickle. I'm not going to spoil anything here. You all should enjoy this story very much. It's a new fresh start from the previous Resident Evil games which brings new life to the series. However, the intro does spoil a few things about the previous Resident Evil games. I recommend you play those before you play this. However, it won't affect much of the story in Resident Evil 4 if you don't.

Overall - 10/10 (not an average)
All in all, Resident Evil 4 met my expectations and is a great game. This game has got to be one of the best games of 2005. If you are a Resident Evil fan, why are you reading this?! You should already be on your way to get this game. If you are an action gamer, you should look into this game as well. If you are still not sure about it, rent it. Hope this review was helpful to you. And thank you for taking the time to read this.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/12/05