Review by Robazoid

"Possibly the best game ever, perfection is well within reach."

Resident Evil 4 is a game with no limits to its awesomeness. It surpasses the expectations the previous games in the series created, and it surpassed them well. I tried to find problems, I really did, but it just didn't have any. A 10/10 seems almost too low.

Controls- 9/10
If I summarized this review into one phrase, it would be- The Controls make sense. The only problem I found was with the gun aiming, I just couldn't work my mind around when you move the right, it moves right. I seemed to have this “right will go left” in my mind, and it cost me several bullets early on, since I was missing occasionally. It only took a few killings to get used to it, and now its second nature. The game also helps you out by sending a playing manual that you can read in the game, so if your not sure of something, no worries. You'll find out.

Graphics- 10/10
This game has close to, if not the best graphics I have seen on the Gamecube. It looks almost real, and the only problem is how sometimes a corner just doesn't look right, but it doesn't stand out enough to worry about. Resident Evil 4 also had a great deal of in-game movies, and each and every one of them just looks great. You can tell Capcom didn't cut any corners when making this masterpiece. If you're worried about the graphics, then you can stop, Resident Evil 4 will not disappoint you.

Game Play- 10/10
This is where the game shines, which is good, because I think that Game Play makes a game. Graphics are nice, but if the whole game is boring, no one will buy it. Resident Evil 4 re-works the series' past accomplishments and it scored. When aiming, a red dot appears and the camera slightly zooms over Leon's shoulder, making shooting less of a guessing game and more of a skill. Also, depending on where you shoot the monsters, it could make them drop their weapons, falling to the floor when you shoot their ankles or have their head exploded from well placed head shots. Resident Evil 4 also is scary, in a dramatic way. You'll find yourselves being rushed by crowds of clever enemies (more on the enemy's next section). The music changes once an enemy has seen you, and they usually call their friends. Even once the battle music is over and you know you're relatively safe, I still felt chills from the environment, wondering if another horde was around the corner. In other games, this would be a petty annoyance; Resident Evil 4 makes it extremely fun.

A.I- 10/10
I remember when I first played; I said “What are you going to do? Jump out the window?” or, “You can't climb over fences!”
They could though, and they did.
The enemies also duck from shots, set traps, throw explosives and try and kill you with large rocks that roll down hills. They hide too, one could be waiting just beyond a door waiting to call its friends to come and trap you. Resident Evil 4 has some of the best A.I I have seen, and if your looking for this, then look no further than Resident Evil 4.

Sound- 9/10
The sound is good, scary, fast paced songs during battles, slower songs when there aren't any enemies around. I still think it could have been better, but I don't know if this is actually the case or if I'm just grasping false hopes that Capcom didn't come away with the perfect game. The gunshots seem real, talking and voice acting would have 10/10 in its own section, but a 9/10 seems fitting. Resident Evil 4 has good sound; there isn't much else to it.

Difficulty- Hard
Don't listen to anyone who says Resident Evil 4 is easy, because their either gaming gods, or liars. More than once you'll think its over when the enemy outsmarted you and came through a window and the door, or when they find a way around you and attack from both sides. Resident Evil 4 has a few things that help this problem, such as yellow herbs that raise overall life, a mysterious man who sells you goods that will aid you on your quest, or the ability to start closer to when you died instead of last save point. They also got rid of ink ribbons, if you see a type writer, you can save.

Story- 9/10
You take on the role of Leon Kennedy, taking a tip that the Presidents missing daughter has been seen in a remote European village. Upon arriving, something is wrong with the villagers, and their all trying to kill you. I feel this story is cliché, and could have been more original, but it' still good, and flows well. From what I have seen, plot holes are scarce, and the characters are introduced nicely. Capcom deserves an award for this game, of that there is no doubt.

Rent or buy?
Unless you severely hated the previous Resident Evil games, then buy it! Even if you hated them rent it anyway, as they reworked several problems and flaws with the previous games. Depending on which you choose, you will not be disappointed.

Overall (not an average) 10/10
Controls- 9/10
Graphics- 10/10
Game Play- 10/10
A.I- 10/10
Story- 9/10
Difficulty- Hard
Rent or Buy? – Buy

Resident Evil 4 is a great game, and this review barely scratches the surface of a world you must experience for yourself.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/14/05