Review by stepalicious

"This evil is very, uh, good..."

The Resident Evil series takes a new direction, and boy howdy, let me tell you, Capcom are some geniuses. I loved the way the Resident Evil series was before, but now it is even better.

Gameplay- 10/10
This Resident Evil is completely new from the other ones. Capcom changed it a lot, and change is good. There are a lot of new things. This RE is a LOT more action-oriented rather than puzzle-oriented like the other REs. And you can now target enemy body parts now ^_^. It's kinda first-person-ish, but not really. The best new feature in this game is the action buttons, like tapping the A-button as fast as you can to run from a boulder, or pressing the L and R buttons as fast as you can to dodge an attack. The controls of this game have really changed also. You don't feel like you're controlling a tank anymore. The difficulty of this game is average, not too hard or too easy. The enemies are so much smarter, and faster. You don't sit there for an hour and a day like you did with a zombie. And they have weapons >_<. From torches to axes, to the really freaky chainsaw. I found myself dying a lot, 61 times by the end of the game >_>, but for some reason, every time I died I was like "O_O!!! That was a pretty awesome death!" It's not a frustrating game.

Story- 9/10
The overall story of the RE series is good, but the story of RE4 on its own is eh. Leon Scott Kennedy returns from RE2 to go on a mission from the government to rescue the president's daughter who has been kidnapped. Well he ends up in Europe, where some Cult has been spotted with the president's daughter. While he's there, he discovers some villagers that aren't quite alive yet aren't quite zombie. He gets wrapped up in this whole thing with some "sample" that is being used to turn people into this. Oh, and supposedly, Umbrella is gone and not involved in this. It's an okay story, I guess...

Graphics- 10/10
Everything you'd expect from a Resident Evil game. There's nothing that I think is bad. And there's a new camera thing, too. The camera is now always over Leon's shoulder, and not fixed like the other REs. It's nice. And OMG, some of the cutscenes look AMAZING, both graphics and what's happening-wise, like they could have come straight out of an action movie.

Sound- 10/10
Nice, haunting sounds. Good background music. You can hear the enemies shout to each other in Spanish. "Esta!!!" Pointing in your direction and such. The sounds of the weapons are nice, too. Both yours and the enemy's. That chainsaw sound is pretty freaky >_>.

Play time/Replayability- 10/10
This game took me hours to finish. 20 hours, to be exact. And in not one of those 20 hours did I find myself like "Ugh this is so boring... When is something good gonna happen..." I feel like playing it again, in fact. And when you finish the game, you unlock 2, count them, 2 mini-games, along with about 3 or 4 shooting gallery-ish mini-games that you can already do, and 2 weapons to use in the main game. Plus, you unlock a new difficulty setting. It'll last you a good while.

Resident Evil 4 is completely new from the series, and it is completely perfect. It's amazing. Awesome new gameplay and controls, breathtaking graphics, eerie sounds, and tons of awesome hours of play time. If you like Resident Evil, you better buy this game. It's worth searching for, and be a peach and pay $50 for it so Capcom can keep pumping out those excellent games. If you don't like Resident Evil or you've never played it before, definitely give it a rent and I'm sure you'll change your mind about the series. Overall, Resident Evil 4 is without a doubt, a 10 out of 10.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/18/05