Review by CyberSlayer15

"This game is without a doubt, the greatest reason to own a Gamecube!"

Resident Evil 4 is without a doubt the most anticipated survival-horror video game. Ever since Resident Evil 3's release in 1999, people have been waiting for Resident Evil 4's release date to be announced. Finally, in 1999, there were rumors spreading that Capcom was working on a sequel to Resident Evil 3. Unfortunately, this title was not resident evil 4 and actually became Resident Evil: Code Veronica for the Sega Dreamcast.

Later, there was a huge announcement that Capcom would be joining with Nintendo to release Resident Evil 4 solely for the Nintendo Gamecube. Capcom also announced that it would be taking a different direction with the series, which scared many fans of the series. But after the successful REmake in 2002, and the sci-fi-like thriller of Resident Evil 0, people felt they could trust capcom to introduce them to an exciting addition of an already popular series. However, soon fans began to complain about the survival-horror game being solely for the gamecube. Then Capcom pulled one over Nintendo and announced that Resident Evil 4 would be playable on the Playstation 2, late in 2005. Well, the wait is finally over. Has Capcom's changes dug a grave for the title right next to the zombies that they abandoned, or will these changes bring about a much-needed change to the repeated and constant game-play? Let's find out......

Next to the gameplay, this is Resident Evil 4's strongest point. The character modules both in gameplay and cut scenes are incredible. In my honest opinion, this is probably the best-looking game on the Nintendo Gamecube. The ganado's appearance is breath-taking. The chief's cold, lifeless stare is enough to send chills down your spine. The cut scenes that introduce the bosses, such as the el gigante's are gorgeous and obviously alot of work went into them.

The weather is even better in this game then in the REmake or RE0;, and after sending Billy/Rebecca on top of the moving train, that is saying something. The lightning and rain are simply put, gorgeous. Each environment looks astounding and well-done. You will not find a single flaw within this category, trust me.

The sound in this game was superb. The ganado's Spanish voices are done well and are definitely the best. Sometimes when they communicate to one another, you wonder if they are really alive and are going to jump out of your television screen. The novistador creatures sound like an upgraded chimera, which is very nice. Nothing to complain about the bosses either. They growl and roar just like they should, nothing to complain about. The rain and thunder effects sound even nicer then they look, and thats saying something. I was totally impressed by the background sound and music.

Finally, we have the main character voices. Simply put, I loved them! Luis's voice is the greatest voice i have ever heard come from any resident evil character. Leon's new deeper voice, in my opinion was a smart move. Ramon Salazar's voice fits his character perfectly. If you don't know who he is, you'll find out and definitely agree with me. Then there is Ashley's voice; this is what kept this category from a perfect 10. I feel that her voice is too young and childish for her age, and it gets rather annoying when you hear her yell, "Help....Leon!" Other then that, I have nothing to argue about.

Ok, now where to start. First off, forget everything you know about the gameplay in Resident Evil. Now, the first thing you should probably notice is that this game is alot more fast-paced then previous titles. No longer will you have minutes to just stand around as the extremely slow zombies stagger towards you. Now you will constantly be on guard, making decisions like...."should I jump out the window and flee" or "should I stay and fight to receive items." The time you have to make up your mind is limited, so choose quickly.

Next, you'll probably notice how much more free the aiming scheme is in the game. In the olden days, your choices were limited to aiming up, down, and straight; not in this title. Now your have full analog control. You can choose whether to shoot the enemy in the face to blind it momentarily, or you can shoot them in the legs to "trip" them. You can even decapitate them or shoot enemies weapons out of the air if you aim right! The new shooting-scheme is definitely the best addition to the series.

Another new addition is during the game, you will have to be quick with your fingers as you will have to use various buttons to "dodge" a rolling boulder, or a sharp blade heading straight for your neck.

Then there is the A button, which lets you perform various tasks, one of which lets you kick a stunned enemy, which deals a small amount of damage. This will save you alot of ammo, trust me. You'll be mashing the A button violently as you have to cut a rope, push a shelf to block the door to stall the fearsome ganado, or to dodge a stampeding boulder. You'll also have to rotate the control pad violently to escape from an enemies grasp.

The item boxes are gone, and you are left with a large inventory which is split up into the weapons/ammo/health and keys/treasures slots. The weapon and ammo will quickly fill up your inventory and you'll have to buy a larger one from a merchant who sells various weapons, first aid sprays, and upgrades for your current weapons! Good news is that the typewriters haven't been left out of this game.

Finally, I would like to mention the various weapons in the game. All your favorites are back such as the shotgun and rocket launcher, and even a few new ones like grenades and a sniper rifle!
Overall, with all these new additions, there is no reason not to give this game a good score. The gameplay is definitely the best part of this game.

Storyline: 9/10

Ok, the storyline in Resident Evil 4 isn't the greatest, but its by no means the worst. Your in control of Resident Evil 2 hero, Leon S. Kennedy, who is now a government agent sent to Europe to recover the president's daughter, Ashley Graham. Yes, its pretty original, but it does have some depth, which I won't spoil for you. Probably this games weakest point, but still not bad.

This game is quite possibly, the greatest game on the Nintendo Gamecube and is reason enough to go out and buy one of these systems. With awesome scores in every category, there is no reason not to buy this game. This game is lengthy and you shouldn't even need to rent it first. Go out and buy this.....NOW!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/23/05