Review by the_mr_pants

"Capcom has outdone themselves"

First off I'm new to GameFAQs and this is my first review, so if you see a few typos, I apologize. That said:

Capcom's latest installment for the Resident Evil series has arrived for the Nintendo Gamecube, and it is truly one of the best games you'll find on any console!

Gameplay: (10/10) Intense action, loads of weapons, hoards of treasure....the fun factor of this game is off the charts. There is quite a lot more fighting is this game than previous resident evils. The enemies are way smarter; they'll often surround you in groups of ten, maybe even twenty! If you try and hide behind a rock, they'll most likely toss dynamite at you. You will be on the run from them at all times. Here's a tip right off the bat: Find some good cover (like a house or something) and aim for the head! You'll still have to find a few key items, but not nearly as many as you had to in the others. You'll start off with the handgun as you normally do, then you'll find grenades, the shotgun and so forth. However a traveling merchant pops up occasionally and you can buy weapons that you wouldn't normally see in past games. One example is (my favorite) a sniper rifle. You can also sell things you don't need and treasures you find to him for money.

Graphics: (10/10) Easily the best graphics on Gamecube! Everything from the trees, to the clothes the characters wear, to the doors that you open have all been detailed to perfection. The enemies and bosses are the most realistic I've ever seen in a game. If one attacks you with a weapon, strands of blood hangs on the end of it for a horrifying effect. Giving it a ten out of ten is a no brainer.

Controls: (10/10) MUCH better than previous REs. It's now much easier to move, shoot, and look around. You actually can move the camera with the C-stick; you're no longer burdened with the trouble of not knowing what's behind the corner. Probably the best addition is the ability to actually aim and shoot certain body parts of an enemy rather than just automatically aiming and firing. The action button (A) also plays a big deal in this game. You'll use it to open doors, sprint, kick, climb, cut, jump out windows, knock down ladders, raise up ladders the list goes on and on and on. You'll also use the L and R buttons to dodge boulders and axes and such.

Sound and Music: (10/10) One word defines the sound effects: Incredible! The sounds of creaking doors and thunder make this game hard to play at nighttime, especially with the volume turned up really loud. The music never gets tedious (like Resident Evil Zero) and it's often very exhilarating! It always seems to change when you enter different regions. For example: when you enter a cave, it tends to play creepy music. When you enter a save room, the music is soothing and calms you down.

Replay Value: (9/10) This game is the longest I've had getting through on a Resident Evil game (19 hours). After you beat the game you can try again on Professional mode, and yes, it is harder. I won't spoil anything else that you unlock though. You'll just have to play the game for yourself.

Overall: (10/10) This game is THE best game on GCN! Way past Smash Brothers! Way past Wind Waker! Way WAY past Super Mario Sunshine! This is the closest game to perfection I've seen since The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It's my favorite game on Gamecube, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. This game has a mature (M) rating, and contains strong language, violence, and gore. I feel that it is not suitable for anyone under 16. I have a strong feeling that this game will finally let Gamecube have a chance to Shine! Thank you for reading my review and I hope I convinced you to pick it up sometime. Good Luck!

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 01/23/05