Review by SantaIsTheOne

"Wow, good job Capcom"

Okay, I am seeing where some of these bad reviews are coming from and a few of them (I won't mention any names) are clearly Playstation fanboys. Blah blah blah Gamecube version sucks, the game should be a masterpiece on the PS2 and every problem will be fixed blah blah blah. These people are just mad that not only did the Cube get it first, but the Cube also has more power and capabilities than the PS2 could ever hope to have. Except online... They just need something to complain about. Honestly I was a little disappointed to learn it was even going to the PS2 and I even read that the creater of RE was a little ticked off that they decided to do that. Either way, it doesn't matter to me because either way this game is great. I liked the previous RE games but this one blows all of them away in certain areas. I mean, I couldn't even begin to imagine what this game would be like with zombies. At least these guys run... I mean I could sit there and shoot and shoot and shoot if there were zombies in this game and it would be 10 times easier. Anyway, let's get to the reviewing.

The story is simple, you are Leon Kennedy from Resident Evil 4 and you are working for the government. The game takes place a little while after the Racoon City incident. You are on a mission to rescue the president's daughter from her mysterious kidnappers. You are placed in a village in Spain (where the whole game takes place) and that is where the game begins. It seems normal until the first guy you meet and that is when it really starts to get nuts. I will leave the rest to you. Honestly, I can't see where people hate the story so much. The creator just wanted to step away from the zombie thing. I mean, you PS2ers get your Outbreak so I don't see why there are complaints. I am glad Capcom decided to go in this new direction because zombies would be terrible in this game. Overall, I think the story is great.

These are some of the best graphics I have seen on a Gamecube game. They aren't as nice as a certain Metroid Prime but they work well. One complaint I don't understand is where everyone is saying that the character models are too alike. True, there are only around 5 or 6 different villager models probably but seriously, not only do you not have time to look at faces, but, are you kidding me? Do you really need to see what the person's face looks like when you are going to blast it off anyway??? Exactly, point made. I don't really see any other graphics issues. Sure, there are a few clipping things here and there, but it's really no big deal. See, when people complain about 1 or 2 clipping problems, you know they are complaining for no reason because if this were on the mighty PS2 (note the sarcasm) of course it would be "perfect" in every way. Anyway, other than that I would have to say that the graphics are top notch.

The voice acting in the game is great. All the weapons sound like they should. When you hit a certain area with a bullet, like a wood house compared to a brick wall, it sounds like you would expect. The script does suck a little bit but the cutscenes really aren't that long so there isn't much of it to put up with anyway. Another area I really can't complain much about.

Controls: 9/10

Another area I don't get why people are complaining to much about. You want survival? Well, guess what? It just got more realistic. I mean, how realistic is it to be able to see all your surroundings at once? I like how the camera is now over your shoulder because it's like seeing it from Leon's point of view without having to go into first person. It's better than bird's eye because, nobody can realistically see behind them or from the sky. It adds to whatever scare factor the game has. You can also throw eggs...need I say more?

This is where the most important part of games are. And this is also one of the best parts of the game. The enemy AI is pretty smart. Many seem to have thought that by Capcom saying smart, they meant human intelligence or something (which no game AI has). No, that isn't the case. They mean smart as in they break down doors, put up ladders, break through windows, throw things, duck away from bullets, etc. I have had a few guys dodge my bullets, and, although it looks stupid, it has made me waste 1 or 2 shots before which you can't really do. Sure, headshots work on most enemies but sometimes there are consequences for using headshots, especially later on in the game. That's why you can shoot chest shots, arm shots, or knee shots. You can shoot them and when they stagger, you can kick them and knock back a lot of guys. You can just shoot them in the knees to make them fall or shoot weapons out of the villagers' hands. This works great when they are holding dynamite or something. When they carry torches shoot them either in the hand, arm, or shoulder and they may flinch causing them to burn themselves and catch fire potentially setting fire to other enemies around them. There are also different things in the environment that you can use against your enemies. Even their own trip wires and bear traps. The areas aren't just static areas anymore either. You can leap out windows, hop over small fences, leap across small gaps, climb ladders, kick down ladders, etc. This is all done with the action button which is set to A. You can also use it after making an enemy flinch to kick them. The controls in general aren't much different than previous RE games but the camera is what changes it completely. There really isn't a scare factor in this either. There are a few things that jump out at you (try to stand out at the edge of the dock before getting into the boat for the first boss fight and continously shoot into the water....) but the scare factor is from something completely different. You are never safe from villagers. If they are attacking you and you decide to hide in a building don't think you are safe. Oh, decided to bar the door? Okay they will just break through the windows or send Mr. Chainsaw man at you for a nice 1 hit kill decapitation should he hit you. And Mr. Chainsaw (that's what I am calling him in the review) is VERY fast for a fat guy with a chainsaw. He also takes a crapload of hits to take him down. Barred the door and went up the stairs and onto the roof? No problem they will just put up ladders and follow you up. This is where the scaryness happens. Also, there is a Shenmue like QTE system but it's not as prevalent in this game as it is in Shenmue obviously. Sure, it may be a ripoff off Shenmue but it works. It's also in most of the boss fights. The boss fights are also very creative. El Gigante and the giant fish guy are probably the most well known of the bosses. El Gigante is the giant Lord of the Rings looking creature that is on most pictures of the game and the big fish is in many pictures as well. These boss fights work well with the QTE system as you have to use the action button or another button to attack them or use another action. The bosses are all very creative and I like how they aren't just shoot-until-it-dies kind of bosses. I think this is where the game really shines, and again, you can throw eggs. It's little things like that that make a game good. Just the fact that they add small things in like that make it an interesting experience.

Entertainment value/Replay Value: 9/10

Just the fact that you can replay the game more than once from the same file makes it good. You get many unlockables after you beat it too along with the game just being plain fun. This game will keep you coming back for more. I guarantee it. If you don't look at this game as a disappointment to the RE series and look at it as a really good follow up to the RE series then it really can't disappoint. It's supposed to take place after Umbrella has gone bankrupt so it's not supposed to be like the old RE.

Rent/Buy

I would say buy it unless you have serious doubts or are not a fan of RE games. If you want to test I would easily say rent it at least. It's a game worth a rental at the very least.

I give the game a 9/10 because there are a few minor issues and the game isn't perfect so it doesn't warrant a 10. Overall though, the game is great and you should definitely pick it up if you don't have it yet. Pay attention to the ratings though because this game is REALLY graphic.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 01/28/05