Review by Mikery15

"This is the type of game that influences the industry!"

First let me state that this is in total, the second Resident Evil game that I own, and the third that I have played (the first which was about 8 years ago). The other is Resident Evil: Outbreak, which I hear is totally different than the others. Whether this is true or not I do not know, but what I do know, is that it did not make me a great fan of the series. However, Resident Evil 4 has. The following review is not to be confused for a Fanboy/Fangirl rant on how "my" series is the best or worst. It is here to offer the true opinion of a new fan of a series in which some believed was losing steam.

Whether you are afraid that the new direction of the series is going to be for the worst, or whether you are not completely sure if you want to spend the money on this game, I think this review will help....
So without further back-story, I give you my review of Resident Evil 4.

The story to Resident Evil 4 is simple, or so it seems. You are Leon Kennedy, the protagonist from Resident Evil 2. Some years after the events in Resident Evil 2, Leon has join the U.S. government and is on a new mission. He must find the President's kidnapped daughter who is suspected to be in Europe. This leads you to a run down, rather ugly town, in which things start to become rather unusual. You encounter one of the townsman right away, and he is way too eager to bond an axe to your head. As the story continues you meet new characters, some which I assume are from other Resident Evils, but I can not be certain; giant monsters, insane townsmen, giant sea dwellers, chainsaw wielding foes, and many more. I do not want to spoil anything, it is that good, so I will let you find out the hardcore details yourself.

Sound/Music: 10/10

I was tempted to give this a 9 out of 10 just for the fact that the murmmering of some enemies freaks the heck out of me, but I realized that it is actually a positive. The sound is amazing. Whether it be the sound of the weapons, monsters, or the sound of on coming enemies saying hymns to themselves on their way to attack you, the sound is as top notch as you can get. The music is timed perfectly with the events, and some of it is sure to make you very unsettled at certain points. Shoot the water and hear it splash, shoot a wooden door and hear it splinter. There is not a bunch of heavy metal/techno music playing during fights, and that is just what the game did NOT need. It is done perfectly, whether it be a haunting little tune, or silence. There is some fast paced music in the game, but trust me, it does not ruin the creepy feeling you get from walking around.

Graphic: 10/10

I am not one to say that graphic are perfect in any game, but I think the graphics in Resident Evil 4 are amazing, and the perfect style for the game. The environment are amazing, and the sheer detail is just insane. The style in which it is in is very courteous to the run down, shabby houses that you encounter, and makes them look even creepier. The areas in the game were obviously worked on to the bone, for they are so well done that I have not found anything to complain about. Leon's hair blows as you run, as he gets injured he moves differently, and there are no hand sweeping movements to be found. Final Fantasy anybody? Anyways, the graphics are straight-up beautiful, and done extraordinarily well.

Control: 10/10

There is not much to be said about this in my opinion. The controls are perfect. Anything you want/can do in the game, is easily done. Change direction on the fly, change or draw a weapon on the fly, and perform special actions in an instant. I can not praise the control enough. They are perfect, enough said.

Conclusion

This is the first Resident Evil game that I can honestly say that I love whole heartedly. I rarely play video games, but this has changed that. The game is hella fun, and will definitely win you over depending on whether or not you like it. It is one of those games that you either dislike, or completely love. This game has successfully drawn me away from my other games, and continues to be a big part of the discussions I have with a friend of mine. I bought a Gamecube mainly for this game, which surprised me since I was not a big fan of the series previous to this, but once I saw it I knew I wanted it. I do not regret my decision at all. Beating the game does not even end the fun. There are many things to unlock which keep the fun going. Trophies, characters, game modes, costumes. Overall, this game is a must buy for any Gamecube owner. Whether you are new to the series or an on going fan, this game will either be your meat and potatoes, or will drive you from the series.

One of the main reasons I love this game is because I find myself becoming really tense when walking around. You never know when you will have to press some buttons to survive (even during videos!!), or when an invisible bug will jump out and attack you. I often find myself creeping into a building and still getting shocked at the fact that a villager with dynamite is there waiting for me.
These are just a few of the wonderful things that make the game great. From the shock to the RPG elements, the game is sure to be amazing to majority of games. There are those that will dislike the game, and well, they are entitled to their opinion.

A Few Extra Thoughts

Yet another one of the things that amazed me is the instances in which you save your own life, or kill an enemy with out even knowing the way you did it was possible. Just imagine the first time you shoot a flying axe, or a flying stick of dynamite in the air causing your life to be spared. Or imagine shooting the dynamite while in the enemies hand causing him and his comrades to explode. It is just as cool as when the enemies cuss you out in Spanish.

Brief Overview

Fun Factor: 10/10
Once you start playing you will find it hard to stop. The game is that good.

Replay: 10/10
With unlockable modes and costumes the game will not get boring any time soon. Not to mention that the game clocks in at about or above 20 hours of gameplay.

Sheer fun. If all games got this amount of attention paid to them, you would not see as many flops. This game totally went passed my expectations and was one of the few games that took me by surprise.

Just when you think you know what is going on, your find out that you were completely off from the truth. There is always more to learn, and more to worry about.

From the moment you see the scenery you will know that some freaky stuff is going to happen. And once you seem the size of the areas, you will be more than happy to go slow and hide for a little. You never know from what direction an axe is going to come from.

Sound/Music: 10/10
Well timed, well placed, a great experience.

Control: 10/10
In one word, brilliant. So many actions and options, so much ease to execute them.

Of course, I do not expect this review to help you make up your mind 100%, so I suggest checking the web for some trailers of the game so you can get a more accurate feel for the game. Once I saw the first trailer I was hooked, so give it a try. And if you are still not sure at the end of the day, dish out a couple of dollars and rent the game. Five dollars is definitely worth saving you fifty, or helping you find what may be the best game you ever play. I do not want it to sound like this game is the Holy Grail to me, but it definitely is an outstanding game that deserves a chance from every video game player. So good luck with your decision, and I hope that this helped you make up your mind.

All that is left to say is....

"What'a ya buyin'?"

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 04/08/05, Updated 03/17/08

Game Release: Resident Evil 4 (US, 01/11/05)