Review by the big kahuna

"Guilty, Guilty Pleasure"

First off, I would like to say I popped this in expecting something I would regret for the rest of my life. A crazy vampyre gothic chick killing Nazis? Sounds classy. Throw in the fact that there are demon creatures and genetically altered god-knows what, and you've got a game worth torching. Ohh, fire is pretty. Sorry, back on the subject. I was truly impressed. First, we will get the ugly stuff.

Graphics-5/10 Oh, dear, God. What made these people decide this? Graphics are not the most appealing thing in this game, actually if you base games only on graphics, put this on your ''Worst game ever'' list. The details are nice and all, but the animation looks like Metal Gear Solid after falling out of the ugly tree, and getting hit by a train. All of the next-gen systems are capable of much, much more than this. Even the Playstation had games that out shone this. On the plus side, the Cut Scenes are nice, and the only thing saving this rating from a higher score.

Gameplay-7/10 Gameplay, thankfully, is quite nice. Using the L-button to attack seems odd at first, but you get used to it quite fast. As for moving, it's much like an FPS. One stick to move forward, back, and strafe. The other used for turning. You can also use guns, and that is quite fun. If you really don't like them, change it. Another interesting quirk is the ability to refill your health by jumping upon a human enemy and sucking his blood. Quite enjoyable to hear him scream, which brings us to the next category...

Sound-8/10 The sound in this game was quite impressive, especially considering the graphics. The voice acting was well done, and the gun fire sounded nice. All in all, I was surprised to enjoy the sound.

Replayability-4/10 To be perfectly honest, there is really no point in playing again, unless you want to use Juggy mode. (Enlarge certain...Qualities of Bloodrayne and other female characters.)

To buy or rent If you find it for cheap, (I got my copy for $10) I would definitely tell you to buy it. Otherwise, just rent it a few times, it is much to short to pay anything more than $20 for, unless you're like me and you like to shoot a bunch of people over, and over, and over again. Blood is a pretty thing when you are angry.

All in all, a game worth playing if you enjoy an all out blood bath with intriguing controls.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 07/10/03, Updated 07/10/03