Review by ChaosStalker87

"Hacking and slashing has never been so much fun!"

As some of you know, I like the occasional hacking and slashing games. But, I have not played that many. Tomb Raider had a good series. Then it got progressively worse as the series continued. I thought it could have been better, anyways. How many of you like senseless running around and a weird storyline? If you do, BloodRayne is just the game for you. It features a weird storyline and lots and I mean lots, of killing. This game is not for the weak at heart, due to the gory scenes. Hey, I warned you…

Well, they aren’t the best ever. But the graphics in BloodRayne are pretty good. Only about 2 of the characters look really detailed. That’s Rayne and her friend that you see at the beginning. The blood in this game looks like, well… bloody. The freak monsters look so-so. But if they could just improve them to look a little bit, freakier. Then they would have been a bit better. The German soldiers display the perfect expressions. Environments look awesome in this game. But if you or I had to choose which character looks the most detailed in this game, it would have to be BloodRayne.

This is where the game falls, the sound is not really all that great. The voiceovers are very good, but it is lacking something that I can’t explain. If they would have had more German voiceovers instead of the same one for each soldier, it would have been better. There is about 4 different German voices in the game. But that is about it. One more thing is that, they could have put in better sound effects. Like when you cut off an enemies limb, it could have a more gory effect.

Story and Game play: 9/10

It is sort of a weird and unique story in BloodRayne. When you start out the game, you are in Louisiana and moving around the town. By killing everyone. Once you reach the level boss, you kill it then someone stabs you with an object. His name is Jurgen Wulf. Lets call him the main bad guy. In each level, you find out what the German’s are up too. Eventually, you will find out and will be shocked.

Control is so simple in this game its not funny. The A button is to jump on objects. For biting or shooting a harpoon at your enemy, you press the B button. For activating Blood Rage, you press the Y button when the meter fills up. For changing your weapons, you press the Z button. If you would want to use those weapons, tap or hold the R button. For normal slash attacks, press the L button. Finally, the control stick is for moving around.

Replayability: 8/10

The game play gets boring at points, it is a pretty good way to kill boredom. If you have some spare time on your hands and no other games to play, I’d say just pop in BloodRayne and give it a go. I usually do that too.

To buy or rent?: Buy

If you are a fan of hacking and slashing games, you’ll probably want to pick up BloodRayne for your Gamecube. Same goes if you are into games with lots of blood. Worth the $40 or not? I’d say it is worth it.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/14/03