Review by x3n0cid3_776

"Decent game, but nothing great"

BloodRayne is a game about a sexy half-vampire sent to kill evil Nazis and vampires. Thats the basic story behind the game, and it doesn't get much better than that. While the game was actually pretty fun to play through, the story and dialogue were lacking, to put it nicely.

Graphics -- 8
The graphics are pretty good. Fog and lighting effects are done pretty well, though aren't really too comparable to modern titles. The art for the game is one of the high points of the game. The design for Rayne is excellent. The outfit may be a little cliche, but it still works. Explosions and other things aren't rendered very well, and the animations are sometimes off, but it's really not that big of a deal.

Sound -- 6
The sound for the game is pretty sub-par. The screams and death-cries for the enemies all sound pretty much the same. The voice-over work was cheesy (fits right in with the dialogue), and had potential for better. The weapon sounds were decent, but I've heard better. Looking back, I cannot remember any music at all in the game either. Either it had no music, or the music is just that forgettable.

Control -- 8
The controls for the game are actually not bad. Choosing the dual analog option allows you to control the camera with the other control stick. It works out pretty well, but sometimes, especially in fights, the camera just doesn't seem to move fast enough.
As far as the control scheme, it's pretty tight and responsive. One of the only gripes I have about the controls is (besides the camera) the blades attached to her arms. The actions just cycle through the different moves in combat and don't allow for much originality or strategy, basically just "slash and don't get hit".

Gameplay -- 7
The game was fun to play, but it was definitely repetitive. Most of the levels look a lot like each other and leads you to thinking "Wasn't I just here?" quite often. While the major focus is on combat, there is a little variation in some of the objectives, like planting explosives or turning on water pumps. The list of targets was kind of cool, in my opinion. It was a little disappointing that the whole game is tracking down those enemies, but its a decently fun game while it lasts.

Overall -- 6
From the numbers above, it looks like the game would score higher than it does. In my opinion though, the story and dialogue is just incredibly cheesy and mundane. I think my 12 year old sister could have probably written a better storyline. However, it's still a pretty fun game if you can just shut your brain down and ignore the lame in-game quips by the main character. It's worth a rent, but not really worth buying.

Reviewer's Score: 6/10 | Originally Posted: 05/31/05